Alk drop?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Toallhisdoom, Feb 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

So my alk drops about 1-2 dkh a day it seems. I recently brough it up from 6 to 10, then it dropped down to 9. So i added 2 more tsps of baking soda to bring it up to 11.

So i am going to continue to check it daily and see if this is the pattern.

Is this normal? Is there something i can dose that i can automate so i dont have to add baking soda every day to keep it more stable?

Nitrates-0
    Nitrite-0
    Phos-0
    Ammonia-0
    Ph-8.2
    Cal-480
    Dkh-11
    No mag test kit.

I do 5gal water change weekly(100gal system so i know i should do10 gal weekly).

Any ideas? Thanks guys/gals!

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Get a Mag kit ASAP. Mag will help to stabilize Alk. Your calcium is also relativly high. Other experts can chime in, but I believe you need to make sure your Mag is where it is supposed to be (about 3 times higher than Calc) before trying to stabilize Alk.

I recommend and use Red Sea Coral Pro kit (contains Alk, Mag & Calc), but you can get them individually as well.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 Mag. value is very important.While your calcium is in the higher range it is acceptable.Also keep in mind that some phosphate removers like GFO will cause Alk. to drop.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

1 person likes this.
  6. Toallhisdoom

I ordered the red sea kit with the cal, alk, mag tests, and a bottle of kent M tech or w.e it is.

So what should I aim to get my mag up to if it is low? And how much can i raise it per day?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

100ppm/24 hours.

Get to at least 1250. Personally I like mine a little higher.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Excellent, good purchase. Take your time when testing. It can be very confusing your first time. If you want test, then post the results here before you make any changes. We can help with the results if they seem off. Mag is the most difficult (or at least time consuming) of the tests IMHO so make sure you understand how to do it.

For Mag, you can increase up to 100 ppm per day safely. It should be about 3 times your calcium level (so you would need to be mid-1400s). Hope you got a good size bottle (at least a quart, hopefully a gallon) as you will need around 20 oz or so to increase 100 ppm for that size tank IIRC.

10. Toallhisdoom

Well i am hoping it wont be off that much. Tested my alk, and after 2 days it went from 11-9ish dkh. So about 1dkh alk drop a day. I guess thats not bad. I will test again tomorrow to see where its at. And ill post up results when i get the tests. thanks guys!

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Alk dropping a point a day is pretty severe. I'd guess your Mg is way off. As a point of reference, my 55 drops about point one in a half a day if I don't dose (which I have automated so a non issue)

IMO, stable Alk is one of the most important aspects of this hobby. The only reason we care about stable Mg is bc of the relationship it has w/the other params (which is significant).

Some "IME" thoughts:

Red Sea test kits are difficult to do and the Mg one in particular is very easy to mess up while doing it. Salifert is much easier to do and much easier to read.

I wouldn't buy Kent bottle products for anything. That's paying quite a premium for a lot of water. If you like burning money, I'd recommend tossing the Red Sea kits and buy Salifert ones. if you don't like burning money, I'd recommend hitting up BRS for raw Mg.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

?? I have not yet used a Salifert, but it seems the steps are exactly the same. Red Sea has you do 2ml of water, 5 drops of reagent 'A' (swirling for 15 seconds after each drop), 5 drops reagent 'B' (swirl, then wait 60 seconds), then add reagent 'C' and match the color. It looks like Salifert does 3ml water, 6 drops reagant 'A' swirl for 30 seconds, spoonful of reagent 'B' (powder) swirl for 10 seconds, add reagent 'C' until the color changes. Am I missing something, or how is this much easier?

And Kent Tech M is the only Mag known to kill off Bryopsis, which is why I use it ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013