Alk dosing cloud

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by blackraven1425, May 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Alright, so I dosed mag over the last 2 days, and got up to ~1400. Now, I went to add the alk solution (soda ash from BRS), and every time I try to drip some in (couple drops), it'll start to form a small, white, smokey could in the spot, which turns into bigger chunks and drifts through the rest of the backsump, never to be seen again. Is that a normal thing for alk to do?

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yes it clouds and is perfectly normal.

1 person likes this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes as long as it clears quickly, less than 15 minutes

1 person likes this.
  5. blackraven1425

Awesome, it clears before it makes it out of the pump. I put it in the back sump, the chamber between the skimmer and "bubble trap" (aka PITA sponge), and it doesn't make it out of the outlet for the pump which is about 18 inches of travel, so much less than 15 mins lol

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Try to add it in front of a powerhead. I don't like to add it into pumps as it tends to cause a buildup.

1 person likes this.
  7. blackraven1425

Err, the pumps are the powerheads in my setup, so it's not really an option. I'm adding @ 8, that seem alright?

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Just keep the pumps cleaned regularly and you'll be alright. If you let it go they will build up deposits. I drip my alk into the intake area and can see the cloud all the way to the pump. Just have to clean it a little better. I let it soak in vinegar then scrub it. Then I run it in a bucket of r/o for about 5 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  10. blackraven1425

Alright, will do. I've had that pump on the list to be cleaned anyway, and haven't gotten around to it.