Alk Cal Mag for dummies?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by zesty, Aug 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Hi all, I'm trying to get a better understanding of these three items in my tank. I have tried reading some articles on reefkeeping and about the second paragraph my mind is off in the clouds.

Would there be something that could get the basics down for a guy that isn't so smart? (that's me btw)

Thank you!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What are you trying to keep in your aquarium?

One trick is to keep your mag stable in the 1200 - 1400 range. That will keep your alk and cal from chasing each other's tail so much.

1 person likes this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Right now it's considered a mixed reef, there's a little of everything. So, I think that could make things a bit more complicated. Everything is still in frag size, nothing large and nothing really seems to be growing either. I have 2 acans, a birdsnest, devils hand, 2 ricordeas, condy anem, some zoas and palys and a few others I can't think of the name of.

I did a water change earlier this week and the day after my numbers were:

Ca - 545 ppm
    Alk - 9.5 dKH
    Mag - 1560 ppm

I use red sea test kits. I know the calcium is high, but it's my understanding that will just add to the buildup on the equipment? I do not dose at all, I also try to get weekly water changes in, 2 weeks is the max I would go for a water change.

I have read it can be tricky to get these all to a point where all 3 are happy and it's best to make changes slowly. However, I'm not comfortable making changes (via dosing or otherwise) until I understand what I'm doing and why.

I was using Kent reef salt and I'm going to start making a slow change to Seachem Reef Salt via small water changes.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks!

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

What is your salinity at? I am thinking your salinity must be around 1.030 with those results. Do you check with a refractometer calibrated to 35ppt?

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I actually just got a refrac and some calibration fluid. I will check it when I get home.

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

oh man, I feel bad.... I just checked my water with a refact and it's at 1.029 :eek: Well, I'm throwing away my hydrometer...

So, what's best way to get it down? do a water change with just some RO/DI water??

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

The best way is the slow way. But yes, water changes with a lower salinity or RO/DI water will work.

10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Matt,

Check again your params again when you SG is a little bit lower.
    A mixed reef should be around 1.026-1.027 IMHO

Those params you posted were good/high however.

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I've been shooting for 1.025, and I thought I was there... haha, now I wish I would have bought a refractometer sooner....

yeah, I'll get the SG back to happy time and I'll run the tests again.