alk and pH low?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by hydrojeff, May 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

ok so i have been raising my alk with baking soda and borax slowly and pH is coming up as well but it seems like its taking longer than i thought it would, my tank is 120 and my alk was at 2.5 and my pH was at 7.7. now my alk is good at 3.8 and my pH is at 7.9 to 8.0 is the higest its been in the end of the day lighting cycle. what would you all do? leave it or add more? i have been dosing this for the last two weeks.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Your alkalinity is fine where it's at. That's 10.6 dKH. Your pH is a tiny bit low but it's not horrible. That could be from excess organics, overstocking of the fish tank, or a build up of CO2. If you open a window, does the pH go up?

4. hydrojeff

as far as fish i have 1 mimic tang, 3-4" 2 purcula clowns, 1 manderian, and 1 flame hawk. i have not tryed to open a window just because my kids are always going in and out all day long so im not sure it will help but i will try it when i get home today?

5. hydrojeff

ok ive had the window and a fan blowing the air at the tank for a hour and still at 7.92 and my red sea alk kit only goes to 3.6, thats what it just tested at, i do have a lot of red/brown hair type algae? the tank was transfered from the 72 bow to the 120 on march 26th.