Alittle experiment with vinegar

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by djnzlab1, Jan 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

HI,
    In my never ending quest to find better ways to add calcium to my system
    I found a web page that talks about using vinegar to improve the release of calcium into solution reduce the ph .
    Well I took it one step farther and took 2 liter jug plastic and added 2-3 cups of that (Florida Crushed Coral Substrate) it filled the jar to about 4 inches,
    I then poured plain old white vinegar over the media til about 4 inches above the coral.
    This stuff started to sputter and perk like a coffee maker Now if I remember my organic chemistry all that should be left in the jar is water mixtures of dissolved salts of trace elements and any calium carbonate not used in the reaction. I will test the PH to be sure it done wit simple ph paper.
    Now in theory it should reach a neutral state and stop. Probably around a PH of 8.0
    So I will test the solution in my lab to see how much free calcium was relased.
    Why haven't we tried this before.
    Most chemical reactions are self limiting and will reach a neutral state and stop. No excesive KH to deal with no PH shock, just free calcium and trace elements and alittle water. DUH
    Acetate produce with the vinegar will be used by corals and the DSB for food. ITs a win, win. concept in theory.
    more to follow.
    PS don't put a lid on your reaction vessel it will explode due to pressure there be chemical reaction going on similar to that POP-POP fizz fizz.. of co2 being released hey may be feed some freshwater plants. dril a hole in the lid and put an airstone in the tank.. hehe
    Doug
    Will post the calcium levels on the slurry today and the PH. my current media

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

sounds interesting keep us posted

4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

I'm sorry but I have to correct you! This is very incorrect! Reactions do not stop, they reach equilibrium! Meaning, there is always a chance (probability) of reaction products to decompose! The chance, your calcium will go back to the crushed corals depends on other components of marine water (your system) that may push-the reaction backwards!

Yes and no! Please note you have got enormous microbiological variety in your tank! Even if acetate is consumed by corals it may be a growth inhibitor for many good bacterial strains (as it is known already, for bacteria from Nitrosomonas family - involved in nitrogen cycle...).

I like your idea, concept is clear and seems to be cheap and effective. However, I'm worried a bit about the possible negative effects on bacteria!

5. djnzlab1

took sample to work to see whats happening

6 hours out, still bubbling alittle.
    calcium is 11808 mg/l or ppm
    mag is 164 mg/l
    PH 5.2
    may need more time to react, will see,
    the reason I am using this method to recover calcium is to also recover any of the trace elements captured in the coral gravel.
    this would assist with trace element replacement.
    Trying to see if anyone has tested this method on another forum.
    Doug

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Vinegar increases the amount of calcium that will be available to corals etc. when added to kalkwasser! The other thing is that straight kalk has a pH of around 12. When you add vinegar to the mix it increases the carbon dioxide to the tank thus decreasing the pH!

7. djnzlab1

not using lime using crushed fla coral

HI,
    I checked the ph after only 6 hours with straight vinegar and its already up to 5.2,most vinegar is around 2 PH another 24 and it should settle around seven.
    this concept is to recovery many of the trace elements that are found in crushed coral this would be a big plus for a reef system without the headaches of high KH.
    The 5 cups of crushed coral will depleate the acidity of the 4 cups of vinegar and all that should remain is water and acetate and some calcium and various trace elements.
    Not using any lime.
    Doug
    not adding to tank till ph settles so the KH isn't a problem my fluid ized bed can easily handle the acetate my only concern is long term dosing over time of the acetate

8. Click Here!

9. djnzlab1

dont try this big problems

HI,
    Well its was a big flop there was plenty of Calcium but this was offset buy large amount of acetate that took almost 24 hours to clear,
    It couldn't be good cause most of my anemones looked a little ticked off.
    Any who I have replace the vinegar with just plain old ro/di water that seems to pull considerable amount of carbonate into solution without the negative effects of follow.
    I use triple DI-water much better than your average DI system
    Doug