Algone to help with cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ibefishy, Nov 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I was starting to have a cyano outbreak 1 1/2 weeks ago. I added a packet rubberbanded to a rock in a moderate flow area of my tank behind the rocks and turned the lights out for 2 days. I kept the same feeding schedule and didnt do a water change. Now 4 days after my lights being back to the regular schedule the sand is still very clean. There is no algae or cyano on the sand. Anyone else have experience either good or bad with this product?

And I am not saying this is what cleared up the problem or that it will clear up someone elses, but it does look like it help with mine.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I've used red slime remover and it worked great. Problem is if you don't get nutrient export under control it will just come back.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Yes, I use it, and it works well for me. What the hay like substance it is made of does is produce enzymes and and as they say; "energizes microbial activity" and "breaks down carbohydrate, protein, fat and other waste pollutants." Now, since it does this, it stands to reason that it is reducing pollutants and nutrients and thus helping to starve off cyano and other undesirable algae. It also makes it easier for the skimmer to work more efficiently. I was going to post on that very fact and then read your post so I might as well include it here. Since I started using Algone again (I use it off and on) I noticed my skimmer is producing on a more steady basis and a real dark skim. I don't have to keep fiddling with the flow adjustment. All and all......great product.