Algea/Hairy Stuff

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ItalianNJ, Feb 21, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ItalianNJ

ItalianNJ Astrea Snail

I have been cycling my tank with new cured live rock. I got the brown/green algea which is clearing up on its own.. but the rocks that were covered.. are now growing hair.. is that normal?

2. Click Here!

3. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

Yes and no. some that are lucky (very few IMO) will not have to battle with hair algae but allot of us have and still do... My current tank is almost a year old and im still fighting with it. Not as much but there is still some spots. What you can do, since its a new tank with probebly not much in it, is take each peice of LR and scrub the heck out of it in a SW bucket. Do a search on hair algae and you'll find a whole bunch of threads about it.

Good luck.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Cleaners, you need cleaners to keep it under control. I feel that thing always sticks around. The one that goes away completely is cyanobacteria, but hair algae, my god, small patches always survive. The best you can do is get fish and crustaceans to clean the rock. If it get's to big, scrub it with a toothbrush. If you have the room, get a nice tang. ;)

5. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

a couple of hermit crabs could keep that under control...although, i despise hermit crabs....*grrrr*