Unresolved algea growth on tang= dead tang plus dead picaso clowns

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by loneracer05, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

ive had these guys for about 3 months 1 month of that was qt.i noticed yesterday my powder purple tang(hybrid powder blue) looked like it had hair algea growing off of its fins and a nasty case of ick(first ever ich attack in this tank).i added melafix and also a algone pad( i have a slight gha issue from my mantis yes hes in the same tank).i came home afew hours later and the tang was dead.i fed the clowns mysis soaked in garlic and selcon they both ate normally.went to bed woke up clowns were dead too.now all thats left is my pylei wrasse and a damsel. all inverts are fine what should i do? the wrasse looks ok but is breathing kinda heavy.

im thinking i sould remove the fish put them in qt and treat them with something just dont know what and let the tank be fishless for 8 weeks as i would for any ich outbreak.tank is 78* 0 amonia 0 trites and about 5ppm trates.

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

how old is the tank?
    How big is the tank?
    What kind of skimmer do you use?
    What kind of filtration do you have?
    How many other fish are in the tank?
    What kind of lighting do you have?
    What is your SG?
    What is you ALK?
    What is your Calcium?
    What is your magnesium?
    What if any supplements/minerals do you add and how much/how often?
    How often/what do you feed?

There are a ton more questions we would want answered before anyone will venture to help you out as it is impossible to tell without most of this information answered.

Also pictures help in all cases.

Good luck to you . . .

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

And I do not know a whole lot about mantis shrimp - but could they be killing your fish? I know they have some mega powerful claws and people typically keep them in species only tanks . . .
    just a thought . . .

5. loneracer05

tank has been up and running 2 years + a 2 month cycle
    tank is a 29 biocube (tang was being held here while i build my 280g)
    coralife skimmer
    standard bicube filtration
    the tang,pylei wrasse,2 small clowns,1 damsel
    stock pc lighting
    sg 1.024
    i dont measure this tank but i will shortly
    i dont dose anything in this tank
    i feed about 1/4 sheet of nori a day divided into 3-4 times per day,a home blend of mysis,brine,bloodworms,formula 1,krill,clam,muscle,squid,plankton...you get the idea lol i soak all thhe food in garlic and selcon

i feed via turky baster 2 small feedings a day

6. loneracer05

the mantis is trained well he will actually be going into my reef :) there is not psychical damage to the fish.if the mantis hit them they woulda atleast had wounds. this is most definitely a health issue

7. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too small of a tank to even TEMPORARILY hold ANY size Power Blue (or any hybrid thereof) Tang.
    They got stressed to death because there was not enough swimming room.

Even if that Tang was an INFANT it would not be happy for any time in a 29 gallon tank.

Also, when you say 2 years old + 2 month cycle, does that mean you purchased the tank used and moved it from one location to another? That could raise a TON more issues.

8. Click Here!

9. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Also, the wrasse you have needs a minimum of 30 gallons. You had 5 fish in that tank. 4 appropriately sized fish would be absolute max on that size. A PBT would need at least 150+ gallon tank to be happy/healthy. So having 5 fish and a mantis together is simply asking for trouble.

Hopefully with the fish you have left they can recover now that they are not packed like sardines in a tin can.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Too many fish in that size tank, your are going to have problems with disease and stress. Feeding twice a day in that size tank with just the basic filtration is going to be a problem too.

If you have LR and a sandbed you probably do not have 29 gallons. Five fish and a mantis is a problem waiting to happen. Even if you have been in the hobby along time. Miss some water changes or feed too much and it becomes too unstable.

11. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

another question for you is how much/how often you do water changes . . .
    do you run carbon? GFO? Purigen? Biopellets? Chemipure? Micropads? Sponges? Bioballs?

12. loneracer05

the tank is on a constant water change system also.water is pumped from a 500gallon tnak in my basement on a slow drip into the tank and the wastewater is pumped out and discarded. i know that tangs need a bigger tank all these fish minus the damsel would have gone in my 280.they were in my friends 90gallon but she had a stand malfunction so this was the best i could do.the tang was very small only about 2-2.5 inches.

the tank was bought new and never moved i cycled the tank for 2 months with sand and lr and a table shrimp.

my question is not about bio load its a question of what to do now? and what illness my fish had.