Algaefix marine killed my fish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RobK13090, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

this is one of the reasons I try to stay as natrual as possible. quick fixes usualy only produce poor results in the long run (in the short run in your case). Too bad you had to find out the hard way.

2. Click Here!

3. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

4. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I'm jealous that you're in the midwest and can actually consider breaking ground to bury something this time of year! Here we'd break the shovel! I'd just flush em!!

5. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

thats strange, i used the same product to get rid of the blue-green algae and i still use it every week to just simply prevent it and i haven't had any loses. you might wanna check your params or maybe you did overdose, thats really strange because there product does state that it will not harm any fish, coral or invertebrates. maybe that might not be true?

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Sorry about that brother. K+ for your losses.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well from what you described about the algae it sounded like diatoms thats about the only thing I know of that will leave a brown dusting when it dies off ! and when any plankton dies off it will deplete oxygen rather quickly. This algae control stuff would not have been what I would have used on the diatom bloom .

Do you does D/T's and have you tested the R/O water ? I have seen more then a few membrane to have the seal split and simple tap water to blow by and leak past the outlet O rings .Or the membrane could just be worn out and or not a high enough rejection rate Diatoms feed only on silicates suspended in the water or had you just added any new rocks or sand ?

8. Click Here!

9. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

the newwest addition to the tank was the live rock which i didnt have much, i dont have quite as much airiation as i wished so i have a feeling it was a lack of advanced setup kinda thing.

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I used this stuff a hnadfull of times. I dident notice any difference and then even went to the max dose and still nothing. I got no results from it and no problems with it. I thought it was more a snake oil if you ask me. Sorry for your loss. I just had my tank partly crash a few weeks ago and am back on track. Its like being violated! Nobody wants to experience it and stinks when it happens. K+

11. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

API said they would test the bottle if i sent it in..the question is, do you think they will admit to a faulty product if it just so happens to be a dud? I cant picture them owning up to the problem should it come to be their fualt and actually send me a cash amount or replacement fish judging by the "its not my fault at any cost" attitude i got over the phone. The so called hobbyist i spoke to had the nerve to say it was an unrelated disease.

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I think you probably won't get the answer you want but good luck!! Worth a try I guess...