Algaefix marine killed my fish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RobK13090, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

I called API and they dodged around the fact that their product killed my fish saying i have another disease, but i clearly dont.They told me to send the bottle in with a discription of what happend and thats exactly what i pasted below so i didnt have to type it all again. What should i do?, it sounds like they are gonna try to screw me.

Attention tech department
    I have a 29 gal reef/community tank with brown algae and decided to try your product. i used 1/2tsp which is barely even half of the recommended amount and in under an hour all my fish are laying on their sides barely breathing for about 2 min before i moved them to a hospital tank. Your product has killed my Flame angelfish, Royal Gramma, black and gold chromis, four stripe damsel, and misc. corals are pending at this point. Im extremely upset at this and i insist on some sort of reimburstment. Ive been involved with fishtanks both marine and freshwater for all my life and ive used your products before, however ive lost all my trust with API and working at a fish store i will spread the word of my bad experience. You can call me at 440-610-XXXX my name is Rob and im more than willing to produce proof of dead fish.......... ​

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Brown algae ? was it a fuzzy looking algae growing on the rocks and glass or was it a fuzzy looking blanket covering the sand or rocks ? Sounds like oxygen depletion was the culprit ?

1 person likes this.
  4. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

The brown algae i have looks like someone took a spray can and just does a quick coat everyday when the light is on, its not fuzzy or thick but its on everything!!!!!

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

This tank about 3 weeks old ? or where are you getting the water from that you mixed the salt with or for make up water ?

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

When using these algae control products, it is critical that you keep your tank very well aerated. Did you keep your pumps and/or wave makers on during treatment? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that API is right and ur wrong. Did you check the expiration date on the bottle?

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Only thing I can think of off hand is you say 29 gal. but don't say if you have a sump or fuge, how much live rock and sand or whatever. This would come into play because you need to calculate exactly how much total water volume you have when introducing any medication or supplements to the tank. If you are truly down to 20 gal. then you may have overdosed.

8. Click Here!

9. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the replies youve opened up my eyes to possibilities, but i purposely underdosed to compensate and nowhere on the bottle does it indicate oxygen loss (which seems to be the culprate to the best of my knowledge). I feel API's lack of instruction caused me over $120 in pain and suffering and though it seems like it may not be a bad product, i dont trust it.

PS...... tank is fully cycled, i use RO water, all pumps and airiators were on during the masacre

10. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I feel ya man...

11. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Sorry for your losses. I don't really have any input, but have had a tank crash before and it sucks watching your fish suffer.

12. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the condolences, unless API ask's for proof of dead fish, im goin to make them all a grave in the garden w/ a little grave stone, its the least i could do..........I did a 1/3 water change with RO and some trace element additives and have placed corals back in thier spots and all seems to be well, except my tank is lonley w/o my beloved fish :cry: