Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by clarky2120, Nov 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

My params:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 30
    PH: 8.1
    Kh: 9
    Mag: 1420
    Calcium: 420
    Phos: .03

I believe it's film algae on the glass and tuff algae on the rocks. It's either turf or GHA. It is a very dark green. My foxface doesn't touch the stuff, stupid fish.

I have seen this coming for about 2+ weeks now. The pics are 2.5 days worth of neglect as I wanted you to see if before I scrape the glass.

Here are some causes, please pick the most likely cause for this and solution.

Cause 1: I purchased a used ATI Sunpower lighting system. The bulbs "could" be anywhere between 8 and 12+ months old. It was an upgrade from Odyssea 4x54 to ATI 6x54. Solution: Replace Bulbs

Cause 2: Did a few water top offs. Probably 8-10 gallons with de-clorinated tap water because I couldn't get to the fish store. Solution: Water change, water change...ect

Cause 3: Added Instant Ocean Nitrate Reducer per directions. Also started to add "trace elements" about the time of the breakout. Also, tried a half dose of "Ultra Life Red Slime Remover" in my fuge as it was starting to creep into the fuge.

Thinking about entering into John's contest to win a CUC.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Yep, I knew about tap water. I knew better and still used it, this is what I get.

What product are to referring to as I stated 3 different things? I'm assuming its the "red slime remover"?

Which snails? Or is that a question more for John at Reef Cleaners?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator