Algae taking over the tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Zero_Dude, Oct 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I've had this algae for weeks now, and it doesn't show any signs of going away. My two culprits of this bloom are likely: overfeeding (went from feeding half a cube of shrimp to just my goby, to a full cube for two clowns and the goby), and changing my photoperiod by too much too soon.

I thought I'd post pictures of it here, since I read somewhere that there are different kinds of algae that look similar to this.

Just need an ID and quick fix methods :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Hopefully not too many people cringe at this.. ;)

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

5. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I've tried manual remove for the algae on the glass, but it comes back. I'll check out the links in a bit, thanks!

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I used to have it, never got an ID though lyngbaya seems pretty spot on for what I had. If they're the same, just treat it like red slime/cyano, cut back on feedings if you can and remove as much as you can when you see it.

I'm sure you know to use RO/DI and not tap.

FWIW, nothing really touched it as far as snails and crabs go.

7. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

There is no quick fix. You have to implement methods to remove the nutrients that the algae is feeding off of. Water changes, skimming, bio pellets, carbon dosing, algae scrubber and algae eating clean up crew are the tools. You just have to use what works for your tank. I do monthly water changes, skim and use a algae scrubber and feed pretty heavy. No significant amount of algae in the tank, but it grows like crazy on the scrubber. Nitrate hangs around 10 and PO4 at .01. I don't believe in not feeding well or limiting food to prevent algae. You've got to master nutrient export for the amount of food that keeps everything healthy.

8. Click Here!

9. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I'll start feeding half a cube like I should be doing.. And I do use RO/DI. I also noticed that snails/hermits don't get rid of it.

I'm presently unable to do water changes. The garbage I was using to store water was leeching plastic, and I'd rather have no water changes, than harmful ones. Hopefully I'll be getting a barrel soon enough. Also, I haven't cleaned my skimmer cup in a while.. That would help too.

Also, is your Algae Scrubber a DIY one, or one that you bought? I've been wanting to get one

10. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Scrubber is DIY. Basically three acrylic boxes that sit on the lip of the sump. Middle box holds the slot tube that is feed with a pump. The two boxes on either side hold a heat sink with 6 red and 1 royal blue leds each. Leds are driven with a meanwell driver on 9pm to 9am.

11. APC

APC Gigas Clam

How old is the tank? Has it fully cycled? How frequently are you feeding and what is your photo period?

Looking at this, I think you really have some major nutrient issues in there. You should not need to put in an algae scrubber to handle this issue....you likely need to look at your husbandry practices and improve there (not picking on you when I say that - reefing is an art and a science and it takes some trial and error). Let us know the info requested above and then we should be able to provide a bit more advice.

12. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

Try lights off for a couple days...