Algae Take over..

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SpecailEd, Jun 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpecailEd

SpecailEd Astrea Snail

I've recently moved and with doing so moved my tank, but i also down sized from a 75 to a 55 gallon. I slowly did the move over time so all in all it was about a 50% water change and kept 50% of the old water. after about a 4 weeks algae is now everywhere. And it is producing alot of Hydrogen, i believe, bubbles. The algea is on all sides, and on all the rocks. I have 2 protien skimmers running, 3 powerheads, t5 HO lights.
    Live stock
    Mated pair of Marron Clowns,
    6 lined wrasse
    Watchman Goby
    Hawk fish
    assortment of hermit, emerald crabs, snails, and a Banded Coral shrimp.

Mushrooms, star polyops, galixia, as far as corals go

I have been constantly changing water, and cleaning powerheads and filters, but it seems like the rocks are get covered.

It doesn't seem to be bothering the animals , but it is growing so fast.

the tank is in a hallway with minimal natural light.

any ideas?

it is brownish, lots of bubbles, and kinda thick..

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

The bubbles might be from air introduced from the outside. Either you sticking your hand in, taking a rock out and placing it back inside, etc. It sounds like cyanobacteria encrusting air bubbles. Try getting some turbos and astreas. Since they cruise on rock, they will free the bubbles.

Try disturbing the algae with a turkey baster, blowing water on it. Do not let it settle. Everytime it comes back, disturb it. If it settles on the sand, stir the sand.

4. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I went through something similar when going form a 29 gal to a 75 gal. Even though most of your water is from the old tank and I'm guessing you used your existing sand and rock, your tank will still need to cycle. That is not only because of the new glass surface but also because of the die off you will get from exposing your rock to air. You will also find that when taking out your sand bed and putting it into a new tank most of the beneficial bacteria is lost. Give it a few more weeks and everything will slowly come back to normal as your system catches up with the new cycle. It should not take nearly as long as the first time you cycled on the 75.

I also have seen this thick algae come from using hot sink water to melt up frozen fish food. After just using tank water or RO water to prepare food within 2 weeks I was able to rid my tank entirely of this think algae. Amazing what a shot glass of regular water a day will do to a tank (even with kent phosphate remover running)

5. SpecailEd

SpecailEd Astrea Snail

Thanks Guys,
    I already have an army of snails at work on it, and i got a hanging filter and Turkey Baster im gonna try to get as much off the rock with that as i can and hopfully the hanging filter with pick it up.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

is it leafy brown and bubbly?
    [​IMG]

if thats it its called sargassam a brown leafy macro alge