Algae settling on bottom ok?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by muggle, Jun 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

My tank has been established for almost 1 yr...(2 yrs total....1 year since upgrade). In the last two weeks on the right side of my tank on the sandbed it appears as if some redish/brown algae is settling on the bottom. The only change I have made to the rock structure was move one mushroom rock in the center to make room for a new brain. Flow has remained the same yet it appears as if this has become a really dead spot or something is causing algae to grow on the sand bed. What to do? Suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

muggle
    it is possible that moving the 1 rock, changed the direction of the flow and thus did create less water moving through that area

I believe from your description it is cyno you have
    on your next water change syphon it out, hover the syphon just over it and you will get a high% of the cyno and low % of sand in the bucket

maybe a slight change in angle of one of the returns/ powerheads/ wavemaker - whichever you use, will help to compensate for this lower flow area

Steve