Algae problems using dry rock?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by fishluver, Jun 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

So my question is when starting a new tank i know that live rock can bring in alot of pests, unwanted things, and the worst of it.... algae.... :( so im starting a new setup and was wondering if i were to use dry rock, would there be a chance of algae being introduced to the tank? And how long would it take for the rock to be cycled?

thanks for the help!

2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Algae will get into the tank by some mechanism. It will always be there.

4. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

That stuff is going to grow in there no matter what you do, no way to avoid algae growth and if by chance algae never would grow, you would have a serious issue in your tank. 3 to 4 weeks should do it, but a lot depends on whats in the tank and the filteration you use. I guess.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Keep your params in check and you won't have an issue. Algae usually tips you off when something is wrong, which is a good thing imo.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on comments above

the minute you introduce a live coral or a fish etc, you will have the potential for algae

whilst there may be no living algae spores on dry rock, it still provides an ideal location for algae to grow on once algae spores are present in the system
    algae could come in on the base of any new coral, many of which are attached to various sized pieces of live rock or on frag plugs from a fellow reef keepers tank etc

as mention above the key to preventing it becoming a nuisance is to ensure the fuel required by the algae is not available - (manage your nitrates and phosphates)
    and also ensuring that your lighting is of the appropriate type and age and that the time the lights are on, is not excessive

Steve