algae problem

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Rulu25, Nov 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

I'm new to the hobby so please excuse my lack of terminology here.

I've had my tank for about two months now and about a month of fish. I just noticed that the sand in my tank is covered in algae. It looks to be a red/brown sort of hairy algae. I've had the nuisance algae on the glass that just scrubs off but this is a lot. I've read not to panic but I figured I'd post for some answers on how to rid it.

Also my copperband butterfly has been in the same spot for two days and doesn't seem to be eating the mysis shrimp (he used to eat it) and the new food I bought which I was told would love.

Feedback is greatly appreciated Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Kind of like the thread I started, it's good to use RO water, but you need to either buy your own unit or get it from another source.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Also post a pic of your butterfly and maybe we can determine what's wrong with it.

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Your tank is still cycling. The substrate algae is normal. The Butterfly needs some food with sponge and algae in it. Look into some sheet algae and put some of that on a clip and see if will pick at it. Post all of your parameters and a full tank pic if you could.