Algae problem?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by redboy, Dec 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. redboy

redboy Astrea Snail

I'm a newbie with my first question. In both of my tanks(29g and a 10g) there seems to be excess algae growth on the live rock (brown & green, & some bubble caulerpa). Livestock includes hermit crabs in both tanks, 2 chromis fish in each tanks. Are the fish causing the algae bloom (nitrite, nitrate)? The tanks are both about 2.5 months old, and I've read that this is normal for new tanks, however, when does it subside? I would rather not use a chemical to kill the algae, so shold I just ride it out? In the 29g there is ~45lbs live rock, ~40lbs live sand, 3 power heads, Remora hang on skimmer, 150w heater, Coralife c.f. w/ 65w 10,000k, 65w actinic. I have to figure out how to post my tank info w/ my user name? Well, I'm glad that I found out about this website, it rocks. Hope to hear from some pro's!

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome redboy!

Your tanks are going through the normal cylce and there is not much you can do but have patience. You probably have stocked your tanks a little too quickly and two fish is quite a lot in a 10 gallon. Just hold off on everything and do normal maintenance for two months.

Go to your profile and edit the signature to put your tank info. thanks it was very helpful.

4. redboy

redboy Astrea Snail

Thanks for the reply Craig. Will the algae just die off, or will the hermits consume all of the algae? I assume a refugium would help, but I'm still figuring out how I can fit one under my tank. I guess patience is paramount!