Algae on star polpys

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Bruce, Mar 13, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hi all...well ive tried and tried...but there is some algae growing on my green star and starburst polyps...they r both the green kind...but the sunburst is finger like...ok well on the tissue of the coral there is this green algae...its some kind of dustish algae because i can able to scrap it off with my finger...but its covering the coral...any good stuff to get ride of it? toothbrush?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hey, Are your polyps opening up? I use a toothbrush and lightly rub it off. I tend to shy away from using chemicals in my reef tank because they aren' in the natural reefs of the world. Also, try to place the polyps in an area of stronger water current and play with the placement with regards to the lighting.
    Hope it helps!

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well for my sunburst polyps they are bearly opening...and i would move them but it is a massive immoble colony...i will try the toothbrush lol...but for the star polpys there is just a bit so they are open fine :)

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Toothbrush works like a charm Bruce. The only thing is that it will freak the polyps out and might shy away from coming out for a couple of days.

You can also try blowing strong current with a turkey baster.