algae on glass uncontrollable

Discussion in 'Algae' started by skennelly, Oct 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Searching for a solution here.

At least every other day I have to use my algae magnet to clean the glass of algae. The algae is like a very thin film over the tanks glass. My magnet cleaner takes it right off. The algae is green.

What can I do to stop this or at least make it so I don't have to do it so often?
    I keep my lights on for 11 hours a day, should I shorten that?
    I use RO/DI water for everything and I test for phospates and nitrates and I don't have measurable amounts of either in the tank. I'm fairly certain that I have good water movement, especially towards the front of the tank.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I think that is just a reality of having a tank. I have the same situation. My astrea snails knock it down somewhat, but I still always have a little "film" to deal with. As long as you don't have vast amounts of thick algae, hair algae, etc. I think you are in good shape (my non scientific opinion anyway).

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yeah, I'd like to hear an experts opinion on this also. lol
    If I dont use my magnetic algae scraper every other day it would definitely make it hard to see in the tank. Although I have cut down the time my halides are on. 12 hours of actinics and 6 hours of halides.

Jim

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

How old are the membranes in your r.o. unit? Do you have a tds meter?

6. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

My ro/di membranes are about 9 months old.

I have an inline TDS meter and it reads 0.

Sean

7. JeridJohnson

JeridJohnson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have little outbreaks of green alge on the glass too.. it seems to grow little patches.. I know there are things like lighting (new unit on the way), clean up crew (started building), and RO/DI watter that I can improve on.. I'm probably going to have to go a copule months using tap water for water changes and top off until I can afford an RO/DI unit.... Salted RO/DI at the LFS is $1.00/gal which in my opinion is pretty high. Ive been running my water through a canister filter with carbon in it prior to putting in the tank.. Hopefully it is helping at least a little.

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I have the same problem. I collect a thing white film on the tank that makes my tank appear "foggy" when in deed it is not. The best thing that has worked is scraping it off! I keep my lights on for atleast 12 hours, it might be that we leave the lights on a bit too long.

10. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

11. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

I also have the same problem with a thin layer of green algae that I have to clean off every other day. I use my own RO/DI water. The MH runs for 8 hours and the Actinic are on for 10 hours. All my levels are in the norm. I'm not sure what the issue is. I never had this problem when I had a 55 gal reef. But every since I went to a 120 gal. this is a daily occurrence. I was thinking that it might be time to change the Actinic bulbs out. Hopefully an expert can chime in on this post.

12. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

KB Bear has half of the problem -- cut down on the food and it will cut down the waste that converts to nitrates (fertilizer for the algae). The other variable is light. My algae problem started when I improved my lighting (96W T5 on a 45gal).
    So, reduce the food and reduce the light to reduce the algae.