algae on acropora - help!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by JJK, Aug 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I've posted before with problems with my blue-tipped acropora. Previously, some sections have turned black and sloughed off.

Now, a previously healthy section has begun to grow small green algae (in spite of very high flow directed right at it). Is the algae due to a necrotic area, are does the algae cause necrosis? What can I do about this?

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Can be both actually. Can you post a pic?

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Strong direct flow can actually blow even healthy flesh from acros, make sure you're not blasting it directly from the same direction all the time. How far away from the powerhead is it and what type of powerhead is it?

If you don't have a pest you just need to make sure you're providing good water quality, light and flow. Have you checked for red bugs or acro eating flatworms?

5. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a koralia 4 blowing directly at it, but it is about 6-8 inches away. Is this too much? I have looked closely at the acro and don't see any pests. 2 days ago I dipped it in an iodine solution (seachem's, I forget the name) to remove any potential pests.

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Following this thread. I have the same problems with my monti caps - they are growing some algae and I can't seem to stop it. No direct blast, but good flow in their area.

7. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Are its' polyps extended? When you look at them do they ever get a break from the flow or are they pretty much always blasted in one direction? You could try giving it more indirect flow, angle the powerhead up/forward/back or bounce it off the glass so it gets more chaotic flow.
    Receiving flow from only a single direction is pretty unnatural.

The algae I would guess is growing on the skeleton, it doesn't grow on living coral flesh, at least that I've seen. I would guess the coral is dying or is unhealthy for some reason and the algae is just growing on the newly exposed skeleton.

Have you doublechecked all your chemistry, as well as salinity with a calibrated refractometer etc? I wouldn't worry about the algae as much as why it is dying.

8. Click Here!

9. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hmmm, my water chemistry is as pristine as possible, according to my tests. And I just added a new batch of Chemipure Elite to my phosban reactor, so that should improve things even more. The last thing is that I am getting a stronger light today (was using 4x54W T5 and 4x65W PC - today I am replacing the PC with another T5 fixture, so it will be 8x54 W of T5). Hopefully that will help. I'll try re-directing the current as well.