Algae issue

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kenny951, Feb 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

After adding the new lights to my 28gal. I have noticed green hair algae is starting to take over. Its not bad yet but if i dont treat it now its going to get bad real fast. Its growing daily.

I have never tested my water. Except for salinity level. I just do a 3 to 4 gallon water change every couple weeks. Somtimes i use DI but somtimes i just use tap.

I have never had issues with anything dieing from water quality. My 3 fish and corals all look great. I just have a algea issue now.

What can i really do besides basic water changes? I dont get it.I no i need to stick with only DI water. Im working on that.

I think its time i start getting into water chemistry...where do i start.

I have bought the test strips before. But i gave up on those after sticking one in my toilet then sticking a new one in my tank and getting the same readings haha.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

more than likely you have high nitrates, phosphates and organics. Now that you added new lights the combination is feeding the hair algae. You need to increase your water changes and determine the best way for you to manage the nutrients in your system - what kind of filter do you have, have you a skimmer, maybe consider adding some bacteria or polymers or some other way to reduce your nutrients.