Algae, is this the norm?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Stingray, May 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Are phosphates lower than that bad for a tank? I just tested mine and it tested at .02ppm. [SUB]Hanna checker is amazing BTW[/SUB].

2. Click Here!

3. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Algaes are a common and important part for cycling. I had hair algae in the start of my tank aswell, but its all gone now. It took all of the nutrients out of the water in the start, and it also gives a quick headstart for small critters to grow and breed. My hair algae was FILLED with copepods and amphipods, and now i got so many amphipods, that my goby is just finding atleast 10 big ones each day. I put the hair algae in the back at my sump refugium, and it thrives back there, and i can see amphipods and copepods going crazy back there :)

4. Boywithafishtan

Low phosphates is not bad at all. It gives some more sensitive species of coral and fish an opportunity to live healthier. Phosphates is one of the mains things that causes hair algae to grow. Hair algae LOVES phosphates.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I wouldn't be concerned bdubb :)

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Just something to bear in mind...your tank is CYCLED, but is far from MATURE. It will still "bounce around" a bit as it matures...different types of algae will wax and wane, as will different forms of microfauna. Your tank should be pretty stable and will have its own "personality" between 6 months and a year (generally speaking).

If you haven't done so, add a small CUC...stick with a few good snails: Astrea, Nerite, Trocus, for now, and Nassarius after you begin feeding fishes. Stay away from Turbos (unless you can find the orange Caribbean species), unless you have a hair algae issue...they get huge (golf ball size) and are very clumsy.

Just keep up on the good husbandry, stock lightly, and enjoy the hobby.

7. Boywithafishtan

+1! And agreed on the CUC! Get a CUC first, its probably the best thing you can do to start your tank. I love my nassarius snails, hermits, fromia sea star, and brittles. They help making my rocks look so clean, and the rest of the tank aswell. I'm getting some nerite snails soon. And i reccommend getting every aspect of a clean-up-crew: Scavengers, algae-eaters, sandbed cleaners and fish cleaners. Eventually get a shrimp, like the scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp. Then get some snails, and maybe some crabs. Like hermits, or maybe even an emerald crab if you have some serious bubble-algae issues. Turbos get HUGE! Some of them can topple over if they fall upside down either, it really sucks! :D Nerites, Nassarius, Astreas, Hermits, Cleaner Shrimp, Starfish (Brittle stars for example). Brittle stars are great imo! :) Just dont get some that are way to big, since they might catch your fish and eat them. It hasnt happened for me before, but i've heard of some people complaining about big serpents and brittles catching fish :D

8. Click Here!

9. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Additions to my CUC should be arriving tomorrow. Two brittle starts, one for the fuge, the other for my DT. Some Nassarius cerith and margarita snails for the fuge. I have a big mix of those in m DT already. I also orderd a cleaner shrimp and an emerald crab.

I also picked up two maroon and gold clown fish. They will be in QT for a month, to allow the DT more time to mature.

10. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Oops...unfortunately, margarita snails are temperate critters, and generally don't live long at tropical temps. Don't be surprised if you lose them.

Make sure you feed the emerald crab...they will go after fishes and snails if they're hungry. This gets worse once they get some size on them, BTW.