Algae, is this the norm?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Stingray, May 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

My tank has finally cycled after 5 weeks, and yesterday i did my 1st water change with ro/di water, 25litres and instant ocean reef salt, it went very well,

Today my params are
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-1
    Phosphate-0.5
    PH-8.1
    Salinity-1.024
    Temp-76F

Even though my params are good i still have hair algae on certain rocks and in places the sand bed looks like a lawn, is this just normal due to being a new tank, or should i worry, also the nitrates being 1ppm seem very low?

Thanks all...

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Normal part of the cycle, it shouldn't spread as long as your parameters stay consistent. Phosphates and Nitrates will allow algae growth so try and keep it low.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stingray

I was just a bit concerned as i do have some softies in there gsp and zoas, and thought these were grateful for a bit of nitrate

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

are you running anything that absorbs phosphate? I've always read on here that just because your phosphate is low means that the algae is growing from it. Just my .02

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

They might, but I think they probably benefit more form the precursors to nitrates and phosphates (organic carbon molecules).

7. Stingray

No, running nothing but skimmer!

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

A phosphate reading of 0.5 is actually quite high. A reading of 0.03-0.05 is what you want your phosphates to be at.

10. Stingray

Awesome, just hope I can keep it there or just under

11. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

yeah I would say run some GFO until the phosphates are lower... something to absorb them will help.

12. Stingray

The hair algea I had on couple of rocks and all the sand like a lawn, decided to just completley disappear all of a sudden, this is great obly now the dreaded cyano as took over, couple of patches on the sandbed, I feed quarter cube mysis every other day, 150watt halide ob for 7 hr day, bag of carbon in a filter sock and skimmer running 24/7, is this just another new tank phase its 2 months old now, I clean the glass every 5 days and even then thete is only a faint tint, cant think why its appeared other then this but want to get a hold on it asap and have purchased a reactor, what media should I use, I dont want to use vodka, gfo or pellets, what about rowaphos?