algae info

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by DC5, Feb 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DC5

DC5 Astrea Snail

Hi all! Does anyone know of a good site that gives some detail info of algae with photos of what it looks like?

Tank starting to have an outburst of algae growth, I think mainly was because I changed my lighting to PC 96 watts for my 30 gallons. I reduced the "on" time to about 7 hrs now, and my nitrate is around 10 ppm. Also I am starting to change water every week, but that doesn't seem to correct the problem.

The algae that I want to get rid of stays the bottom of the substrate forming a mat, it is dark red/brown in color, and some get kinda big that looks like seaweeds that floating in water while it's anchor in the substrate. Are theses red slime algae?? [smiley=help.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

4. Pipe_Organ

Pipe_Organ Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Check your water quality. Are you running an r/o? If so, how old are the sediment/carbon and membrane? cyno, hair, and I believe even bubble algae are nutrient fed. Water changes are fine but if your using tainted water your throwing gas on the fire.

5. thumper_s98343

thumper_s98343 Plankton

i read something about that is it like a mat of it in the corners of your tank if it is it is from not good enough water movement all it is is bild up---- do you have a sump????? power heads and how big of a gph do you have???????
    thumper_s98343

6. Pipe_Organ

Pipe_Organ Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yes Cynobacteria can form a reddish or greenish mat either on the substrate or on your L/R. It can even move onto the coral. Water movement is important also. You want to have a water turnover rate of at least 6 times the volume of water/Hr. So if you have a 55 gal. tank your turnover should be 55 X 6=330GPH. Also you want to take into account the vertical pumping action ie: {head}. The general rule is to add about 20%, in this case 20% of 330=66. Adding that to the original 330, you get 396 or approx. 400 GPH. That is the size main pump you would need.