Algae ID Request

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Algae, Feb 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Algae

Algae Plankton

Hello everyone. This is a pretty awesome forum you guys have. This is the first time I have come to this site, and I found it in a search looking for Algae Identification forums. This is by far the most relevant and quality website by far!

I do not actually own an Aquarium anymore, and my posts on here are not going to actually really be in relation to aquariums. I am a naturalist, who is very passionate of Algae, among other things. I was wondering if this forum is okay with me, posting in every now and then to ask about Algae ID requests that I am stumped on. These will be Freshwater algae, that I find on forays in the state of Michigan.

So I understand that this forum is a tropical fish forum, and seems to be mostly all salt water based. But it is the only place of its kind, with people who have much intelligence.

Is everyone alright with me posting in every now and then with ID requests for mostly Lake Algae?
    If not, I understand. I just want some peoples permission first.

Hope I can make this a place to consult many intelligent individuals. :)

If you are all, alright with it, Here is one that I am stumped on trying to ID.
    It has a very Hairy, mat-like appearance. It formed quite long strands, and was located on a block of Ice in a 5 gallon bucket in my back yard, yesterday.

Here is the microphotographs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone! I hope you guys can help! :)
    Just browsing this forum has really made me want to at least get a smaller salt water aquarium for a coral exhibit. They are REALLY beautiful.

Peace and Love.

2. Click Here!

3. Hawaii777

Hawaii777 Astrea Snail

It's probably Blue Green Algae, it grows in most lakes and ponds.