Algae ID Please

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bigdubb, Jul 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

First off the stats.

60 gal cube with 55 gal sump .5 of which is fuge. Fuge has 6" DSB and a small chaeto ball.
    ~100 lb of live rock in the system. All the rock in the DT was dry live rock and has been curing for the past 8 weeks or so. Only since i've started introducing my CUC have I noticed these.

Diatom bloom has started to fade.

Tank is
    GFO/Carbon mix in BRS reactor

Just tested tank params
    ammonia- 0
    nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 1.5 ppm
    Phosphates - 0.02 ppm
    pH 7.9 (I don't know why this is low)
    Salinity - 1.025
    Temp - 78.3

Here is one: I suspect this is Byropsis Pennata but am hoping its not.

[​IMG]

If this is Byropsis, any suggestions on how to remove it? I hate to pull the rock out as its a fairly new tank, less than two months old and is still getting its legs. It is only on about two rocks at the moment. Thinking I might pull these out, put them in my QT for a few days with no light.

The second one I'm having trouble identifying. Green Coraline?
    [​IMG]

It has not height to it at all. Looks almost neon green in color. It's starting to show on quite a few pieces of rock.

Any help suggestions are always appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Pull the rock ASAP! Trust me. Pull every rock with it on it. And let it dry out for a few weeks. Putting it in QT for a few days with no light will not kill it.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Or if it is indeed Bryopsis, you can dose the tank with Kent Tech M magnesium. Search on here. That will save you from having to kill the live rock.

5. bigdubb

I looked aroudn further and some of the rock is foundation rock and I would be detrimental to my whole tank to pull it out. Ugh, I hope there is something else I can do.

Can I pull it out and leave it out side in the sun for a few days to dry it out?

Any ideas on how this got into the tank? Do the CUC often carry bad algae like this?

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

See my post above. I would not do anything that drastic. Where did you get the rock from? Was it all 100% dry, or was some live?

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

The first picture is either bryopsis or hair algae; it's a bit indeterminate in the photo but does look more like bryopsis. In which case, dose up the Tech M as Marshall suggested. Easy fix. If it's hair algae, you can starve it out with GFO in a reactor.

The second photo is nothing to worry about; it'll go away in time.

8. Click Here!

9. bigdubb

The rock was from BRS. Mix of pukani, fuji and reef saver. I did get some LR from my LFS. That's in my fuge tho and there is no algae there at all. And yes it was all dry. Bone dry.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Then I would lean towards it being green hair algae (although as Hunter mentioned it was looking more like Byropsis). Either way, leave it for now and post an update in a few days/week.

11. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

When green hair algae is there, you will never completely get rid of it. Only if you can keep your nitrates and phosphates really low. Hair algae ESPECIALLY love phosphates. I got them in my tank too, and bryopsis aswell, but i just dont got more than a little clump of it, and it can also be pulled off if it gets to tall. I actually grew a carpet of it on my sand on purpose, to make amphipods, spaghetti worms, stometella snails, and copepods to grow. It worked fantastic! I then put the hair algae into my sump with all of the critters in, and now my sump is filled with live food for my aquarium! :) Alot of critters seems to enjoy hair algae, and they will sit and hide and graze. Very funny to look at aswell. But it will slowly dissappear as the tank gets older, and the nitrifying bacteria level starts to add alot more up. I can see that your tank is new with the white rocks :)

12. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I wouldn't risk it. And the Tech M trick doesn't always work.