Algae help... idenification?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by EmilyJ, Jan 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

I use the ro water from the machines that are now out side the groceries stores. It provides a five stage system, better than an ro/di unit. And when you take into account 75% of the water from the ro unit goes down the drain, 1.75 for 5 gal of ro/di water isn't so bad.

I was using tap, Oregon's Bull Run left me feeling safe. Than the city started adding things to the water. Learned my lesson, and had to find a solution that I could afford, and my landlord wasn't going to make me move over.

2. Click Here!

3. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

If you have a lfs that has an ro/di unit, they won't charge you much for 5 gallons. I have a 29 gallon and once a week I get 10 gallons of ro/di water, it only cost me 3.00. I get 6 gallons to top off my salt and fresh water tanks all week. and the other 4 gallons is to do a 10-15% water change once a week.

4. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Before I had an RO/DI unit I used to buy gallon jugs of Wal-mart drinking water. I almost always got a reading of 0 TDS from their water. I think they charge .78 per gallon.

5. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Think of it this way an RO/DI unit may cost you $200 but the wasted salt in water changes and maintenance time will cost you alot more in a short period of time. Buying RO water from the grocery store may be cheap but again that $3/10g adds up pretty quick. Maybe you could borrow $$ for the unit and pay over time. This will greatly reduce your long term costs and keep your inhabitants happy. JMHO;)

6. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

so dose the water bill if one pays it every month, but everyone has something that works for them

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

My water bill is no higher...

8. Click Here!

9. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

ya neather is ours