Algae help ID and fix/cause?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by cobra397, Mar 25, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cobra397

cobra397 Plankton

This has took off since I got my 250 MHs in. tank is around 6 weeks old all test show good. What are some ways to fight this
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Dang buddy you have a green soup there what are the water parameters setting at ? how long has it been running at this point ?

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Your tank being so new will go through this, and their is no way of getting around it...it is nature taking its course. With the lighting and excess nutrients in the pelagic areas of your tank and bacteria growing to coincide with your bioload...it is inevitable!!!!
    If your tank is cycled completely, I would do a water change, think about how much you are feeding, and test your water periodically to determine your water parameters especially since your tank is not a mature/established tank! An addition of carbon and a phosphate remover should also help! Do you have a good protein skimmer? Also what do you have for janitor crew?

5. cobra397

cobra397 Plankton

sorry for the weird color but my camera pics up the yellow from my MHs. I got the odyssea 250 from aquatraders and there lights look that way. Will change bulbs later but so far I love it. The brown on the rocks is what i mean to show you. I talked to lfs and he said the same thing, that it was new tank and still needed time. So il do a water change tommorrow and test everything. So far all the fish and stuff is fine. My load is: 2 clowns. 3 skunk shrimp. 3 astarias?spellliing lol. 4 turbos but one is not looking so hot( think hes in shock. 1 firefish goby. 2 red legged hermits and 4 blue legged ones. also I know in freshwater you can stick two snails in and later have 100. Do our saltwater snails reproduce or do we just keep buying more? Again thx for the responses. 8)

6. captain19365

captain19365 Plankton

Some of my snails reproduce like bunny rabbits. But of course the more expensive ones like the turbo snail dont. At least not in my tank.

7. dark126

dark126 Astrea Snail

no harm in youre tank just clean it and reduce your light time not more than 7-8hrs in the day and keep your filter alwayz clean from dirt and uneaten things no need for proten skimmer . pefore al that check phosphate level try to keep it low .

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I disagree. A skimmer is a must. It removes organic wastes which filters don't. I think you are having diatoms. Is it a brown dusting? If so the best removal is starving them. You have to find out why you have them but your tank being farely new, this would be the most reasonable reason. I also learned that to remove diatoms it's best to physically remove them. In other words if say it on your glass. Use a new cloth wipe off some of the diatoms, rinse the cloth out of your tank, in a bucket of ro water. Therefore the diatoms aren't free swimming in the water colomn and developing more. Hope this helped.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

A skimmer is NOT a must have item. They are beneficial, yes, but not a must. diatoms is a good thing in the begining. Its telling you that your tank is cycling and close to be over. Diatoms feed off nitrates and phosphates. I dont know how new of a tank you have, but if you are still cycling, thats a heavy load to begin with and will take a few months to complete the cycle unlike the typical 3-6 weeks. Most inverts cannot handle high nitrates and will die off thus complicating your cycling period and extending it further then normal as well.