Algae growning on my sand bed ? pic

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jesse94954, Mar 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jesse94954

jesse94954 Fire Worm

hey everyone i got a 150 gallon tank and i got a algae growing all over my sand bed. anything i can do to help with this. I justed ordered a cleaning crew here is what i ordered the top of the sand bed turn into big clumops if you try to move it.

25 Assorted Hermits*
    3 Emerald/Ruby Mithrax Crab*
    45 Florida Cerith
    34 Nassarius Vibex
    10 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)
    19 nerite Snails (Large)
    75 Dwarf Cerith
    1 Red Gracilaria and cheata algae for a refugium

2. Click Here!

3. jesse94954

jesse94954 Fire Worm

Hey sorry everyone i dont know how this one got on here twice

4. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

either your lights are on too long or you have too high of a bioload or are feeding too much. watch adding such a large cuc. More often then not many of the cuc you put into the tank will die off and decompose. this increases the ammonia/nitrates/nitrites etc in the water and increases your algae growth. i would get as much algae out manually as possible then do major water changes and let the cuc do its job. also you need to find the source of the dissolved organic material that is fertilizing the algae. watch how much you feed and how long your lights are on. temp can also be a factor algae loves warm water. try dropping the temp a few degrees (slowly and stay within safe limits of tank)

5. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

also i forgot to mention water circulation is super important. when it comes to saltwater tanks you really cannot have to much circulation. algae hates circulation and it keeps organic matter suspended in water column long enough for filters and skimmers to pull it from water. also check your phosphate levels. algae thrives on high phosphate levels. if the water you use to mix your salt and add to tank has high phosphate (tap water) this could be a source of algae as well. I have 3 maxijet 1200s and 2 of the big korelias in a 55 gal reef tank with softies and stonies and everyone is happy and thriving.

6. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

id manually remove the algae from the sanded cuz your pulling out the algae plus the nutrients it absorbed, cuc will eat it and your tank will look cleaner but the nutrients still there