algae eating creatures

Discussion in 'Algae' started by nemo79, Jul 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Well I have turbos, xl turbos, trochus, nerites, nassarius and hermits, I need soemthing that will eat algae off of rocks and such. I don't want a tang, been there done that and they are messy and prone to disease. I would love a blenny but I need a creature that won't become aggressive with my watchman and jawfish. Are there other things that eat algae?

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Lawnmower Blenny. If your water conditions are good you won't have any problems with Tang's. I soak my food in Vitamin C for about 20 minutes before I feed and don't have any problems. They say garlic is good also. Sounds like your trying to get picky on your tank creatures. ;D

BTY your 55 is not big enough to keep tangs happy so you would probably have problems with them being stressed out.

4. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

how many hermits do you have?

-edit just read your sig, that is kinda crazy, you have a good sized clean up crew and you are still having algae problems. you got me on that one. what kind of lighting are you running and when was the last time you changed your bulbs?

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

My lights are t5ho and I started running the lights at the end of january. When I had the tang I had no algae...since the tang is gone there are spots here and there. I would love a bicolor blenny but a little leary of adding one because of the goby and jawfish!

6. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

many of the Angel fish algae too

HI,
    My coral beauty eats algae all day,
    they really put a hurting on the rocks, be sure your not getting a phos problem, this can really cause a bloom.
    Doug
    I started using a small phos reactor and every one was looking for algae, so i backed off alittle on the phos reactor only as needed..

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I added phosguard yesturday to my filter, my phos test barely changes colour and deosn't match anything on the chart but I am pretty sure there are phosphates in my tank.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

emerald crabs,sea hairs

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would try the lawnmower blenny. I doubt very much that it will fight with the jawfish and/or watchman as they tend to stay in/near their burrows.