Algae Eaters

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Jul 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Is it possible to go without algae eaters if you clean your tank throughly once or twice a week ?

2. Click Here!

3. d3monchild622

d3monchild622 Astrea Snail

? ie snails crabs and such.

Yeah. but its vigorous and you'll get agitated having to clean non stop. tis better to get CUC

People have done it. but it makes your life easier having them

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

if you mean in a freshwater set up?

Yes IMO
    many of the algae eating species of fish dont get fed adequately in home aquaria anyway
    As housekeeping we perform for aesthetic reasons reduces further the limited foods they can find

I was always a fan of supplementing with algae wafers/ pellets/ discs etc to ensure any I kept (mainly plecostomus species , golden nugget, royals and Mango plecs) where always able to secure enough to eat

I dont believe they are essential and never selected them for maintenance crew duty, the ones I did keep, where kept because I liked them.

Steve

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Most "algae eaters" sold in the freshwater trade are not very good at their jobs, the corydora cats seem to be the best of the ones I use, sometimes I add a Pleco just because I like them but don't count on them to do any visable cleaning.

6. smiley

smiley Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

its always better to keep the tank without algae... You wouldnt need an algae eater then...Else like Steve mentioned you would need to supplement with algae wafers

Bristlenose Pelco and Siamese Algae eater are the ones i recommend which go hand in hand with Discus