Algae bubbles??

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ianaco70, Apr 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

My tank's been running for about 5 months and i just got a light with 4 65 watt( 2 daylight and 2 acentic ) bulbs. I wanted to get growth on my rock but after having the light run for about 2 weeks Ive got some algae but a bunch of little bubbles all over my rock and back of the tank. what are they and how do I get rid of them? I leave the acentics on for an hour before and after turning on the daylights and than run daylights w/ acentics for 8 hours.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Your having an out-break of algae b/c you probably have either, Po4 or No3 kind of high. Have you tested your water?

4. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

yea my No3 is around 25+ I thought my fuge wold lower it but it hasnt. I did have to do a copper treatment in the tank about two months ago because a blue hippo I got had ick ( reason why I now use a qt tank). Could this have any affect because I have not done a big water change in about two months.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Do you have a skimmer? Man, I dont like putting treatments in my tank, esp. copper. If I remember correctly, after any treatment your suppost to do a WC. I would definately do 2-3 small back to back WC.

1 person likes this.
  6. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

I have a skimmer. I didnt want to put it in the tank either but the fish which was the last Ill ever buy from petco, had ick and was hard to acclimate and I wanted to make sure It was completely acclimated before removing the copper. I did do two small 5 gallon water changes, but am planning to do a major water change to get rid of the copper especially because I plan to put some soft corals in the tank. The hippo tang is now fine and I will do a big water change this weekend and see if this helps the algae problem. Also I put in some base rock in my tank and it almost immediately grew purple, pink, and green algae could this be caralline ? can it just grow? Im pretty sure this isn't red slime or someother type of algae.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I would run the skimmer and do 2-3 small WC's. For ex, 10-15gals each day for 2-3 days. The gals all depends on the size of your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

Thanks will do.