Algae bloom from increase in temp?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Travis45, Mar 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I've noticed in the past 3 to 4 days hair algae was starting to show up in my tank. I'm wondering if an increase in temperature would cause an algae bloom. I came to the realization today that the pump to my chiller has been busted and has probably been not working for 4 or 5 days. My tank is usually kept at 77 degrees and right now its up to 82 :-/ I'm heading out tomorrow to snag a new pump. Any info would be awesome.

2. Click Here!

3. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

no...it wont bloom from the temp....hair algae usally will go crazy if the lights are on for a lil to long...and if the nitrates are bbad

4. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah my nitrates are pretty much nonexistent at the moment. I just can't figure out why it has just appeared. My tank is been up almost 3 years now without a problem.

5. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

hmmmmm thats strange...do you have lights on it?

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

bulbs older than 9 months?

7. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah I have a T5 fixture

The bulbs are no less then a month old, on a 12 hour schedule.

I'm thinking that since I have my tanks params dialed in I lessened my water change. I was doing about 10 gallons a week but since I got the params where I wanted them I tried going two weeks and only did a 5 gallon change. So I'm thinking the tank is not yet ready for that jump in a water change schedule just yet?

8. Click Here!

9. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

noo...its not that the water need a change...i would say maybe cut back on ur lighting a lil bit 2 10 hours slowly,as in cut back 30mins a day until reached to 10 hours of light a day

10. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Hmm ok that sounds easy enough.

11. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

sure thing man hope it all turns out ok

12. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Thanks, I just kicked the lights back for 30 mins. Yeah I just checked all my params again, they are dead on, just frustrating to have an algae bloom! I guess my new lights I ordered are much more powerful then the old bulbs that came with the fixture. Just need to dial them back a bit.