Algae Almost Gone (Finally)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by johnc101, May 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

:cheesy: :cheesy:

It is amazing what some RO/DI water and a uv sterlizer will accomplish in just over a week. Check out before and after pics of my 29 gallon bio-cube. Of course I had to remove most of all the algae myself. I scrubbe the live rock with a toothbrush. Good news is no algae growth noticeable over a week now. You can actually see some of the purple coraline growth now on the live rock. Still have a long way to go before i get it were it needs to be but this is a great start.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

good job! using GFO phosphate remover, nitrate remover and some carbon helps too with algae and water clarity.

macro algae in the tank will also compete for the excess nutrients so the bad algae will have a harder time coming back.

4. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

The filters have some carbon in them (bio cube filters) and I have some phosban I have not used, but might go ahead and put some in. when my skimmer arrives I will be putting that in aswell. I am trying not to put to much more into this tank as it will be coming down in a few months (i hope). I am concentrating on getting my 120 up. I am slowly collecting all the equipment for it. Im excited. Wish I could keep them both but the wifey is not having that at all. lol..........

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Looking good!

I had an algae problem myself when I first set the tank up using tap water... big mistake. It all went away after constant RO/DI water changes.

Stay on it, algae won't win if you use the right water. I didn't need any chemicals to get rid of it and it was gone even before I added the sump with macro algae and mangroves.

6. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

all i can say is thank goodness for spectrapure..........

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

that ok, build a huge stand for the 120g. hide the biocube inside it, and convert it into a mantis tank. I wont tell! lol