Algae all over my glass... I clean it but it comes back

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bawest, Aug 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

Oh, I never thought the day would come again when I would write to complain about algae all of the glass.

I scrape it off but it comes back. It's the pretty pink and purple stuff that everyone likes, but its all over the glass within 2 days from the time I scrape it off!!!

How do I keep this dang coralline algae off the front of my tank. I don't mind it on the back, but the front is annoying. Also, my pump, pipes, overflow are covered with it also.

There has to be a way to stop it from growing where you don't want it!!

2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

.......guys, i think he's showing off and mocking the rest of us...

4. rkemp

rkemp Astrea Snail

Sounds like it might be cyano not coraline, cyano is pink or purple also, but grows like crazy and can be hard to control.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

no its coralline i had the same problem you could try what my lfs told me put a teaspoon of vinegar in the tank. it either causes the ph or the alkalinity to drop temporarily i don't remember. but it should slow coralline growth with out hurting the corals.

yea it pisses you off doesn't it lol

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

let this be a lesson to all you young whippersnappers. there can always be too much of a good thing especially when it has algae in its name(this also applies to flavored liquors, damn watermelon smirnoff vodka)

7. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

No, it's coralline, I've had the tank up and running for a year now and every week, I have to scrape the algae off because I can't see in the tank.

I always thought people were nuts when they said it grew too much. It really does become a pain it the rear when it takes off.

Does vinegar really work?

8. Click Here!

9. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

And trust me, I'm not mocking anyone. I've had all kinds of problems in the past, but now I have the tank set up right, or as close to right as I've ever had it.

This is the first time I've had this problem. At first, I thought it was cool, but it gets old.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i definitely noticed a slow down in its growth you may need to do it a couple times before it will really take hold. i barely noticed any new coralline in the month or so since i did it. i did get a bit of a green algae bloom, but that might of been because my skimmer crapped out on me and i happened to rearrange my rock and clean my sand.