Algae algae, can't keep up and about to quit

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chrisnif, Feb 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

I have a small tank 20H, my DI resin went bad (not sure when, I lack a TDS) I got a new one when I started to notice some algae. The algae has since gotten out of hand.

I started trying to fix the problem hardcore about 3 weeks ago, started with a 50% WC, and I've been changing 2 gallons daily since. When I do a WC I vac up the "green cyano stuff" and I pick at the GHA and suck out what I can. I also scrape the glass and suck up the junk from that.

The problem isn't getting better, I've lost sunset monti, superman monti, a small birdsnest and milli, I'm losing a lobo.

i'm just about ready to drain it, bring the fish and what coral I have left to the LFS, and go back to freshwater which I don't seem to screw up have as much, but I have one last ditch idea. Put the fish and rock into a tote with tank water, remove all the algae I can from the walls, substrate, and rocks (rocks before they go in the tote). Refill tank with new saltwater (i.e. much less nutrients) and see how that goes.

Let me know if you thank that might work

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

what are your current params at? mostly jus phosphate and nitrate? what about your lighting?

You cant give up because algae is growing in your tank, you should seen my 29g biocube before i cleaned it out, it was nearly full of GHA and other aglae's about a month ago.

IMO, it is mostly your water source..If you cant seem to control it and your doing all these WC's, then it has to be water source..I dont have a RO/DI, but try and going to your LFS and getting RO/DI water and try and see if that works.

What your doing really is just temporally fixing the problem by removing it manually, you need to find the problem and solve it. So as some other people are going to say! POST YOUR PARAMS!! haha.

Algae just doesn't grow for now apparent reason IME.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Slow down slugger ….. trust me, there is nothing that this forum can not fix – that’s a promise !

We need your parameters. Phosphates, silicates, nitrates will be important to us. Do you use RO/DI? Have you tested your make up water?

Water changes will help but its not going to be your answer – we need to diagnose your issues and resolve them. Tell us everything about your system, parameters, age, maintenance, set up don’t leave out a thing – we WILL help you to correct it all…..

5. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

Phos 0.04, Nitrate 1.5, dunno silicates. DI is now putting out 0ppm, was in need of a change before the algae. Light is a 20k ushio about 7 months old...needs changed its getting dimmer than I like

6. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

7 months isnt that bad IMO, most people replace MH every year or soo. I wouldnt say its your light.

Is your DI same as TDS? if soo, then i would say its good there.

7. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

How long have the pre filter and cabon block been in use..did you test you di water for phos and nitrate..I believe you can still have these even with 0 tds(total disolved solids)..also how many fish.what do you feed and how often..what's you filtration sump/fuge,canister filter sock/pads..don't worry we can find the answer.everyone is real good here..

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A major removal of the algae is a great first step. I would suggest getting GFO and running it in a reactor or canister filter. Also increase your CUC.

10. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yeah like 2 said a phosban reactor with some gfo will honestly do wonders..even running it through a hang on back filter or canister will help..and def beef up you CUC and maybe even look into beefing up your sand bed..this is what i would do if it were my tank..also maybe make sure your rock work isnt created a bunch of dead spots that are HUGE nitrate factories..also check and make sure your skimmer is working correctly, should be pulling out an almost blackish thick muck..

maybe change your scape around to help with flow, this should kick up detrius into the water column for your skimmer to pull out..

last maybe look into increasing your flow, again to eliminate dead spots

you could also have a bad batch of salt, prolly not your problem but something to look into..

i dont think its your water your putting into the tank, as long as its reading 0 tds, but i would at least try some pre mixed water for one time just to see, i doubt it will change anything..

i think your problem is to much waste in your tank, on your sand, on your rocks..

if your tank is large enough you could look into a sand sifting starfish, they are great CUC for this problem, since that is what they eat..

i would cut back on feeding, still feed everyday but maybe just one tiny pinch..this will give your tank a chance at least for a little while to catch up maybe..

but man dont give up, like everyone said this is an easy fix with the experience we have on this site..

one thing i just thought of, it could be the water your putting in if you have a dirty mixing bucket..or you could be putting silicate in it if your using a new bucket..idk just a thought...

i would decrease my lighting too a few hours a day..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  11. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

Okay TDS is the total dissolved solids coming out of my RO/DI unit.

The tank is a 20 high, no skimmer, two K-nano (250s). 1/2" sandbed (had issues with a 2" before in another tank, it's just to be -not- barebottom basically). About 15 to 20 pounds of live rock. Tank is up 1 year. I have 2 perc/occ clowns (hybrids I was told) female about 3 inches male about 2 inches. Also have an indigo dottyback and a 2-1/2 male mandarin (it eats the same food as everyone else - see below).

For food I have 3 different kinds of flake that rotate, as well as mysis every few days (tiny tiny bit). Yes my mandarin eats flakes at the top with the other fish.

CUC is a few astrea snails 3-ish blue legs hermits (I buy 10 every few months, it's about time to buy more). Also have a serpent star.

I just added 3 mollies for algae cleaning.

For filtration I have a whipser 40, I've wedged a small piece of foam to mech filtration, I've got chaeto and some rubble and 2 inches of sand in the filter as well (all under a 6500K flouro 24/7). I have to cut the cheato in half every week, more often of late.

I'm seriously considering doing the whole 100% water change. I have some seachem seagel (anti phosphate + carbon) and purigen (which I think is their version of GFO) that I could run in the filter.

BTW dotty back and mollies don't seem to be the best idea to mix.

12. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

Also know it's not a bad batch of salt. I use Salinity and I've tested the calcium,alk and mag and they are within 1% of what they say on the barrel (I buy from the LFS's barrel instead of buying buckets).