Alage & Oxygen

Discussion in 'Algae' started by scott26, Oct 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I have recently switched my carbon from the prepacked aquaclear packages to a mesh bag that I fill myself. I have been have a few alage problems with red slime trying to show up again but have been able to keep it at bay.

But now with this new carbon I am adding I am getting alot of oxygen bubbles in my aquarium and I dont know why? Has anyone else had this problem.

It also seems to be that with the larger amount of oxygen in the aquarium it has made it easier for the red slime to come back.

Any info on how to reduce my Oxygen would be great any ideas?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Does anyone have any ideas on how to control the amount of new oxygen in my tank that is creating bubles?

4. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

Are the bubbles in the water or on the algae? If on the algae then that may or may not be related to the carbon. What brand carbon? Some have tested for algae fuel like phosphates and can Leach them into your tank causing algae to grow. You can test your carbon by soaking it in some ro water then testing the water.

If not the carbon then it is probably just the tank cycling through a new type of algae. In that case I wouldn't worry about oxygen levels but woult worry about getting rid of what is causing the algae

It's hard to duplicate the amount of dissolved oxygen in the oceans. I doubt your problem is the amount of oxygen.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The type of carbon will not affect bubbles. Perhaps the mesh bag is not fitting in the filter correctly?
    Also, algae (and cyano, which is actually not technically an algae) do not feed off of oxygen. Actually, it's completely the opposite, they feed off of CO2 and the byproduct is oxygen.

6. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Even red slime alage? is that oxygen in the slime? When poped oxygen floats up. I plan on doing a water change with red slime control tommorrow I that that is my main problem? Maybe go through my aquaclear and clean it out?

7. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I agree with Pack, oxygen doesn't cause algae or cyano bacteria.
    Aged lights, excess nutrients, lack of flow and poor water quality causes them to grow.

8. Click Here!

9. defdad

defdad Fire Shrimp

Not all bubles are oxygen. Any form of gas will produce bubbles in water. It could be nitrogen gas or carbon dioxide gas as well as oxtgen.

10. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well thanks for clearing things up :( I guess I will just have to address the alage issue and worry about the oxygen later.

11. 10001110101

10001110101 Fire Worm

i dont think many tanks are OVER oxygenated...

most have more Co2, fish produce lots of CO2 and use up lots of oxygen... this along with nitrates phosphates etc makes ideal environment for algae growth...

any photosynthetic organism thrives under high co2 conditions... the algae grows, converts that co2 back into o2 and helps to maintain the balance in your aquarium, it's actually helping you out but it's just ugly.

so that means that whatever else is in your tank is out of balance without that algae which is growing in order to compensate for the high co2, phos, no3.

12. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Yea I think if I clear up the alage which is the beginings of a red slime out break it should help clear things back up I plan on doing a water change with some slime control today and see how that goes.