Air Driven Protein Skimmers

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by phoenixhieghts, Nov 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hi All

I just wanted to bring to everyones attention the air driven protein skimmer. If your like me, and have a small tank with no sump, you probably dont have the room for a big skimmer, i did use a venturi skimmer at first but decided it was too big and ugly and it also released a lot of micro bubbles into the DT. As i like to use ozone, i decided to give a simple air driven skimmer ago. I've only been using it for a day or two and was instantly impressed with the thickness of the foam being produced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now admittedly the skim mate collected is a little wet and light coloured at the moment, but im still playing around with the levels and im sure just like a venturi it needs time to prime.

So if you have a smallish tank like me and want a skimmer, consider the air driven one :) it works at a fraction of the size and cost.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Thats what I used in the sump on my 12 gal nano cube.. It did a great job for me.. Just took some fine tuning...

4. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Air skimmers are still the best as far as skimming, they just require usually taller bodies, strong air pump, and good maintaince with the air stones. They just get a bad rap doe to it being old tech. and not costing $500 :)

2 people like this.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would agree as long as the tank is 55g or less. Otherwise, IMO a sump is highly beneficial and the corresponding Bullet or AquaC skimmer is needed to promote a healthy tank.

6. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Well I've seen 7' tall air driven skimmer running on a 300 gallon, lets just say it's not practical for bigger tanks :)

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Since your using Ozone, have you checked to see if the skimmer is ozone safe? Well, thats if your running the ozone through the skimmer. If its not O safe, it will destroy the skimmer in no time. The lines also have to be O safe. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hey Luna

I have not checked and the chances are its not Ozone safe. However it cost me next to nothing so when it is destroyed, i dont mind replacing it. :)

10. Mj23

Mj23 Astrea Snail

What brand and model skimmer is that? Or is it a DIY?

11. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have an air driven skimmer that is not doing crap for me. . . i think i need a better air pump. I have the red sea berlin airlift 60. My tank is 36 gal. Any recommendations on a good airpump for this use?

12. kissawookie

kissawookie Astrea Snail

hey

Hey when installing, must you attach your skimmer to the powerhead? I am not sure if mine is air driven or not do check my post on ASAP section as i could use some help with this.

Thanks

Regards,
    Bryan