Air bubbles the tips of SPS

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by pallidamors, Oct 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

So something weird is happening in my tank. All my sps look fine except my one green milliepora.

For some reason a few of the tops are developing small bubbles, but here's the weird thing. The coral has good p/e.

Are the tips dead/dying and need to be removed or should I just leave it alone? Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Bubbles under the tissue or actual air bubbles at the tips of the coral:confused:

Images make everything better. :p

4. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

Ill try to post up some pics tomorrow after work. I know images make all the difference.

The bubbles seem to be coming out of the end of the coral tips. Not under the flesh

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yeah sorry, personally I would only be guessing. I can tell you that sometimes air bubbles develop at the end of the photo-period, I am guessing some type of oxidation. The only other time was with the development of dinoflagellates.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I have heard of some corals releasing bubbles when their zooxanthellae produce excess O2 in their cells. Not overly common, but natural and harmless, nonetheless. However, as Corailline stated, that's just a guess ATM without a pic.