Air bubbles on rocks?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by msbdiving, Oct 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. msbdiving

msbdiving Astrea Snail

OK I know this isn't bubble algae. I have a bunch of air bubbles accumulating on my rock. I don't have any idea where this could be coming from as I don't have any bubble making thingies in the tank and I don't see bubbles swirling around from the powerheads or skimmer. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How is the water returned to the tank? Do you have a sump?

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

hob skimmers can cause that.also there could be some kind of gas exchange occuring in the rocks.if its just air though you need to find out whats causing it and fix it cause air bubbles can help hair algae to grow.

5. msbdiving

msbdiving Astrea Snail

I don't have a sump so there is no air bubble from that. I haven't had this problem before with the hob. I have been starting to get an increase in cyano and I attribute it directly to the bubbles accumulating on the rock. Could it be when I put the powerhead in to decrease surface tension and get some more flow that it is allowing for more gases to stay in the water? Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia all test 0. Waiting to get the phosphate check but not a suspect as I use ro/di h2o. Lights are on 8hrs/day (mh) and only feed everyother day.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How is your alk, calcium and magnesium?

7. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Where are the bubbles on the rock - top side or bottom? Could be your getting nitrogen bubbles from break down of nitrates.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

10. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

My HOB did this every once and awhile until I put it in the sump. My guess is the HOB. However, I did get this one other time and it turned into red slim.

11. msbdiving

msbdiving Astrea Snail

Problem solved. Sand bed was either too deep or not deep enough at 3in. Took off 1-1.5 in or so slowly (over couple of days) and no am not getting the bubbles anymore. My lfs said either 1-2 in or 6-8 anything in between and you are asking for trouble. Hope this helps someone else.

12. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

Interesting because I'm 3-4in with no problems.