Air bubbles on rocks and algea prob.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trent51593, Apr 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Hello I have an algea problem sorta and im not sure why. I have tested my water with nitrits 0 ammonia 0 nitrates close to 0 and phosphate 0. I have noticed that there are a lot of air bubbles on my rocks either on the algea or close to it. Could this be a problem or not. The algea is kind of a brownish and green color and its on some of my rock and on my glass. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

is this tank fairly new ?
    thats "brown algea" on your tank walls / rocks , typical to get on a new tank , if you have no live stock , turn your lights off' perform water changes, etc.

if you have live stock, fish, coral etc.
    then you might try a few turbo snails,a lawn mower blenny , a midas belnny, tang ?
    etc.
    if its not much ' dont get upset' its natural' you most likely dont have hardly any coraline algea on the tank glass,
    be paitent and in time it will subside, and keeping up with scraping, the algea off the glass for now will help.

also if the tank is aged and this seems to have bloomed on you all of a sudden , you might look into how old your bulbs are and consider changing them .
    all bulbs will change "spectrum" over time and some spectrums encourage that sort of algea growth as well.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  4. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

If you are cycleing your tank the brown algae is a normal phase it will pass, i suggest not doing any water changes until the cycle is complete, you say all levels are now 0 this may be the case, if so do a 25 percent water change, on the other hand if your tank is well established then i would take wildreefs advise, i'm quite new to all this myself...

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Google "snot algae"

6. trent51593

Ok thanks all. My tank is about 2-3 months old. Now that i look at it a little better its mostly green on the rocks and brown on glass but its not that much its just unsightly so i guess im freakin out bout nothin lol. Yea i know, i hated the diatoms nasty. But anyway i will go with the turbos, i got some margaritas now but they always flip and die (not to smart lol).

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Is your tank gettting any direct/indirect sunlight?

8. Click Here!

9. trent51593

No the tanks not getting any sunlight. If it does it may only be like 5 or 10 mins worth during the evening and then it has to shine through a blind so i dont think that is the problem.