Air Bubbles in sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Beamerhack, Jan 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

In the past week I have noticed that I am getting air bubbles in my sand on the side of my glass.

Is this normal?

Also I have a small red growth on my rock that looks almost like s Xenia's color but, It also has the look of a tube worm. I notice small stringy substance from it to a rock that is near. Is this some type of worm? It seems to have a slow growth rate. I would get a picture but my camera does not take small pictures well.

2. Click Here!

3. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

small bubbles can lead to cynobacteria. I think this is what the small red growth might be you are trying to explain. Use a baster and get those bubbles out of there. I'm having a small problem with air bubbles at the time as well...I cannot figure out where they are coming from, they usually come from somewhere in the sump..usually the skimmer.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

5. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

ummm sounds like spaghetti worms to me they are good for your tank..

6. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

For a couple weeks I had bubbles in my sand and a lot of nasty hair algae in my tank. I added a bunch of hermit crabs and both the bubbles and hair algae is almost gone. Just brush the bubbles off the sand.

7. Beamerhack

Its not on top they are coming up from the bottom of the sand bed. I can see them on the side of my glass.

The little red thing does have spider web looking stuff that attaches to rock around it. only about 4-5 strands.

It grows slow and I think it is some type of worm but really have no idea. I wish I could get a good pisture of it.

8. Click Here!

9. Beamerhack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vermetid snails I think this is, just found some pictures.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

if its a DSB then its a hydrogen sulfide and or methane gas build up the short comings of a DSB The experts say they are an indicator the DSB is working ? .

11. Beamerhack

Its about 2-3 inches deep. Dont know at what depth it is concidered a DSB I just added sand tell I liked the level.

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

The bubbles you are seeing in the sand are the live sand processing waste into nitrogen gas. The DSB is doing its job they will come and go. My Diamond gobie cured this by sifting the sand all the time and keeping it nice and white. (That is him in my avatar). You can get the bubbles out by stirring the sand, but do it in small amounts, You dont want to release too much gas into the water at once

1 person likes this.