Aiptasia or..

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Puffer Chick, Mar 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol sure :)

funny thing ive heard all sorts of stories about aiptasia, and i have never had any, but when i saw these guys i was like ohhhhhh crap better not be what i think it is, which im glad its not :)

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

apitasia

sorry about the quality. It's hard to hold a flashlight, aim and shoot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

;D

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

5. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

yeah its kinda funny i was freaking out about some aiptasi in my tank. looking at pictures online its tough to judge size sometimes. i went to a LFS to get some peppermint shrimp. they were in a holding tank, and were fed rocks with aiptasis on them

i could not belive the size of some of them. you can barely see mine. i guess its never to early. but made me feel a lot better.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

majano anemone - Google Search

check this out also
    not saying that everyone who submits an image to google is correct with an ID
    but there are a number on here which have white tips

Steve

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

yeah it's the last one but it's attached under the bottom rock of my scaping. My peppermints ate the little aip's but wont touch it. I've tried injecting it with kalk and boiling water but it pull clear under the rock so I can't get into it. So I'm trying the cover it with an empty shell method to block it's food and light. Supposedly it'll move up on to the shell. We'll see..just waiting for it to split off a litter.:angry:
    :)

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

they do look kind of similar to those. i guess ill just have to stop by the lfs this weekend to pick up some peppermint shrimp to see if they eat them, by the way do they get along with cleaners? if not ill have to use another method to get rid of them

10. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i have 4 with one skunk cleaner. no problem. i did just read a thread on here that they may not be quite as reef safe as advertised. its also kinda hit or miss if they do anything. they are also miss id by some LFS

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hmm ok maybe ill try to find some Aiptasia X their really tiny i wish i could just pluck them out with tweezers

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I had good luck so far with boiling RO/DI water and a syringe w/needle...cooks the tissues so nothing's left to propagate itself.