Aiptasia or..

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Puffer Chick, Mar 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I've recently used Aiptasia X in some of my Mojano or majano anemones. Like slowleak said, these have too much white on them to be aiptasia or majano (at least the variety I had in my tank).

Can you try to increase the picture quality and if you have a macro function in your camera, try using that, since it will allow you to get more detail out of a small thing like that. Usually there's a flower icon representing that function in point and shoot cameras.

If they go in super quickly, it might be some type of filter feeder. My majano when touched retracted the tentacles quickly, but it wasn't almost instant like feather dusters or filter feeders.

Try to get a better pic if you can.

With what I can see, I'm with slowleak. Too white to be aiptasia or majano, based on the little knowledge I gathered while treating my tank pest. They still pop up here and there, but I'm ready with the syringe to administer some almost instant implosion (aiptasia X)... that thing is awesome!
    You can actually inject full strength vinegar with a syringe and it will also kill it. You just have to make sure you're actually injecting the thing and not just spraying it over it.

- Mag.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok will do, thanks i hope they dont spread, i dont see any more but i guess there could be mro than i know of i cant get to the lfs until maybe next weekend since i went yesterday, just wish i saw them then :(

4. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

I agree. I've had feathers pop out of nowhere that looked like that. There are so many varieties that come in as hitch-hikers or settle out of plankton blooms that it's almost impossible to ID all of them. And yes, they come in a wide variety of colors, too. ;)

BTW- If you disturb it and it closes rapidly, it's most likely a feather.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

oh cool i hope their just a filter feeder, if their not going to be a problem id love to keep the blue and white ones :)

sadly that is on macro mode, and thats zoomed in as far as i can go, if i got any closer to the tank it would just be a complete blur, but i looked up majano and didnt see any that looked like these, they open and close just like a feather duster, one of my rocks is kind of infested in them and they all have the white tubes but none of these have white tubes and their all smaller than the other feather dusters

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i actually just dusted my rocks a bit to clear off some of the cyano to get a better look, my tank is a bit cloudy right now but they did close up and also closed up on their own, without anything disturbing them

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Some type hydroid?? I have them too and spread like fire but since the don't appear to be hurting anything I let them be. I've never noticed them anywhere but on the rock work.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok good to know, guess i will just leave them then, i freaked out when i first saw them and thought they wer aiptasia, kind of a relieaf :)

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

hydroid images - Google Search

cant remember but thinks it page 2 or 3 is an image that looks like yours (and mine)

another thing: I don't bother them because when I researched they apparently disappear on thier own in most cases. Even Matt had a thread on them I believe. :)

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

LOL I can give you pic of a huuuuge aipitasia that I really need to get out soon. It's tentacles are at least a 1/2" long and the disc is about as big as a dime. I bought peppermints to eat it but they became the eaten..no jj but they wont touch that particular one.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok ill take a look :)