Aiptasia, how careful are you?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Corailline, Jun 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you have Aiptasia?

1. Nope

44.4%
  2. Yes a few.

44.4%
  3. Yes it's become an issue.

11.1%
  1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

In the last year or two I have seen people post that they inadvertently bought rock or coral that had Aiptasia. Of course the newer hobbyist goes to the forums and seeks assistance. The common reply now is "Yea they are easily killed" or " Just use so and so's product and you'll solve the problem", lastly "buy some peppermint shrimp".

The only method of Aiptasia control I have not used is the wand. All other methods have failed me over the long term. Aiptasia always came back eventually, and not newly introduced. The Aipasia generally regenerated eventually to become an issue.

I am paranoid about introducing them to this tank. I will not buy from locals, if I go to the LFS I inspect the piece thoroughly.

Am I the only one being neurotic about Aiptasia?

DSC reef and Mr. Bill like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Berghia Nudibranches. only true reef safe solution. I had them that came in on some rock that had corals on from my friend Cody who passed. I did not see them and next thing you know all over my grow out tank. I pulled a few rocks out and treated with Aptasia x but some were just not removable or i had it near nice corals. Well 3 weeks ago I got in 20 Berghias and now I am down to a few polyps.

Corailline likes this.
  4. Corailline

Thanks for the reply. :)

Acquiring Berghia Nudibranches has become easier. They're so tiny though, I feared they would perish quickly in my tanks.

Nice to know they worked so well for you and saw results.

Currently I have no Aiptasia, knock on wood, but I work really hard at avoiding introduction.

It's really frustrating when the Aiptasia relocate to areas of the tank where you can not see them or treat them easily.

Oh the avatar is the bomb!!!!!!!!:eek:

5. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I've used aiptasia-x, kalk paste, the manjo wand, peppermint & berghia noods.
    So, when those all failed, I decided that any rock with Aip on there is not getting transferred. If there was a coral on it, I wanted, break the rock or the coral.
    Took me about a week to find a BIG OLE MOTHER TRUCKER!

Currently, I'm going with my copperband. I didn't plan on the cbbf, but I couldn't turn down a healthy specimen at the price of "don't ask".

I was over at a local reefer's house. He had 4 display tanks all linked together. He only had aiptasia in one tank, the one he couldn't put a cbbf into because of the "devil damsel". He had just gotten one of those wicked powerful lasers to start zapping them. This was a serious laser, it came with red safety glasses! :eek:

I know the cbbf is not 100% reef safe and not available for all tanks. However, this is where I'm at! haha

DSC reef and Corailline like this.
  7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'm pretty anal about it. I had aiptasia once. Peppermint shrimp eradicated them for me, then commenced to kill and eat my other anemones. As you know, there have been many reports of them also attacking lps corals. Since my one and only bout, I've never used live rock or sand in any tank, only dry, and I only order aquacultured/maricultured corals from LA. I have not and will not buy a coral from anywhere else.

DSC reef, Corailline and zesty like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

10. Corailline

Well nice to know it's not just me, very nice to know.

Honestly if I had to rely on a laser (yeah I have seen them) to kill off aiptasia I would start all over. Man talk about desperation.

Oh so nice to know others feel the same way.

When I used to buy live rock it came with tons of cool stuff, most died off if you were cycling anyway, but no aiptasia. Now you pay an exorbitant price for rocks with pest.

What I am trying to figure out is why other members on forums tell people that it's easy to kill off aiptasia, because it's never been easy for me. I just do not get it.

Mr. Bill and zesty like this.
  11. Corailline

Vinny are you agreeing with Mr.Bill or you have aiptasia? If you have the pest please elaborate on how you got so lucky and what you do as an intervention.

Kthnx for playing. :rolleyes:

zesty likes this.
  12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

It's kinda a guy thing with the laser... As soon as I saw it, many boyhood mischievous thoughts came back into my head. :D

However, I agree. I see people that talk about getting rid of it and then it keeps coming back and back and back. I think you're reading the posts before it comes back.

My buddy's tank had one. One lonely aiptasia and it was growing right in the middle of some zoas. After months and months of watching that bugger, I decided to aiptasia x him. That was such a mistake, that was like liquid sex to them. There's more than ever now... ugh.

With my recently fun with MENS, this route is looking to be the most bulletproof route. :)

Mr. Bill and Corailline like this.