aiptasia eating nudibranch

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by SKOACH, Jan 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SKOACH

SKOACH Plankton

Just curious if anyone has tried the Berghia nudibranch for controlling aiptasia. I stumbled across a site that says they eat aiptasia and only aiptasia. Too good to be true? I currently own a great deal of aiptasia in my reef, and I want them to move out:-/

2. Click Here!

3. coastal

coastal Plankton

stone crab

i have found a different way to get rid of those little menaces by way of fiji stone crab but.. he will also eat leathers or anything else soft . i found a way to beat that , just place the rock in your sump if its large enough and he will go to town . it took about 6 months and no sign of the dreaded aps .the rock is back to normal. any container with tank water flushing through will work . you have to be careful where your livestock comes from .lfs are famous for those devils. i have received those from online coral venders as well look close at the pics and you will see them

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I would go with Peppermint shrimp. ................. John

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

They (the nudi) are very suspectable to currents and tend to get sucked overflows and into powerheads. I've tried them many times, all with fairly dismall success. Some have great success, but I didn't. If you plan on keeping them for the long term, keep a secondary tank with aptasia to feed the young (remove egg strands and place into 3rd tank).

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i looked into them once before but never had one but there diet is suppose to be only aptasia. but most nudibrances do have only have a 1 item on the menu diet. the only thing is you would have to propagate aptasia for it to keep it alive or move it along to the next poor victim with aptasia to keep it alive

7. SKOACH

SKOACH Plankton

dead nudibranch can be poisen

Thanks for the input! I think i will just roll with Joe's Juice for now. It knocks em down pretty well. I also heard that dead nudibrachs can be rather toxic. Another nail in the coffin:)

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The best thing for getting rid of aptasia anemone's is a concentrated form of kalkwasser injected into the anemone... It works awesome. Yeah small aptasia anemone's will be eaten by peppermint shrimp but not large ones in my experience.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

These guys aren't that toxic when they die, but many are VERY toxic when they die, your right on the money with that :D

11. cdmorrison01

cdmorrison01 Astrea Snail

Put 9 of the guys(B. nudibranch) in the tank about a week ago, and the aipatasia seem to be thriving. I have seen absolutely no change in the aip population, as a matter of fact, I am starting to see little "baby" aips now. It's about to be nuke time.