aiptasia discovered..HELP!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ladwpwrkr, Nov 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

I have had a tubastrea coral for about 3-4 months now. Its growing on an old clam shell which I have in the sand, not touching any of the other live rock in the dt. I have noticed "2 somethings" that I thought were maybe some tube worms/feather dusters etc growing on the clam shell. They are pretty small, but after further investigation on this site, I have come to the conclusion that they are aiptasia. What are my options??? I want to get rid of this problem before its too late!! Please help. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

True Peppermint Shrimp may help. Aiptasia-X, Joe's Juice are commercial solutions. Home grown solutions are lemon juice, boiling water or a mix of both injected into the aiptasia or kalk paste or pickling lime in a thick paste covering the aiptasia completely.

4. threephase37

threephase37 Fire Worm

And dont give up !! I once had a single aptasia on a rock and pulled the rock out so it wouldn't spread, now it's shelf art lol. Getting it quickly like your doing is a BIG bonus.

5. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

I like the shrimp idea...sounds easy enough and natural. Dont know much about the pros and cons of the this type of shrimp, so i will research. I also need to research your other suggestions. thanks.

6. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

removing the "rock" or in my case the "clam shell" is not an option as I have mentioned above my sun coral is growing on it.

7. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

well shells seem to be easy to break is it an option to break off either the portion with the sun coral or the portion with the aipistasia

8. Click Here!

9. Stercus Accidit

Stercus Accidit Feather Duster

try the peppermint shrimp, a friend of mine was seeing new aiptasia daily and bought a couple peppermints. Tank is nice and clean within a few days. It's worth a shot if you don't want to disturb anything else.

10. maintman55

maintman55 Flamingo Tongue

darn aptasia

i have some also,the peppermint shrimp is eating them,also aptasia-x works.im getting mine under control.

11. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

thanks everyone for all the advice! I bought a couple of peppermint shrimp the other day, and over that first night there were no more aiptasia :laugh5:! THANKS AGAIN!

12. Stercus Accidit

Stercus Accidit Feather Duster

Congrats on the new additions and them doing the job for you!