Aiptasia Alert

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Bruce, Oct 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ugh...well just my luck eh. I come home to visit my tank...i mean parents ha and guess what I find? I find 1 huge Aiptasia and a few smaller ones. I wanted to know if anyone had any luck with peppermint shrimp because i might just got and buy and army of them to kill the Aiptasia. I really dont want this getting out of control because im hardy with my tank anymore.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've had great success with peppy's when it came to smaller aiptasia. You'll have to zap the larger one with kalk though because the shrimp won't touch it.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

small ones are no problem for the peppermint Shrimp as far as with my tank. I used Kalkwasser with the bigger ones as it is said that large Aiptasia will not be consumed by Peppermint Shrimp.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ok, for the kalk, do i need to inject it or just spray some on it...im guessing the first one eh?

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

definitely inject it BRUCE!

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I think the idea is for the Aiptasia to eat it Bruce-man. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmm i dont have any needles!

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Mix up a thick-ish paste of kalk and r.o. water and use one of the larger syringes that come with Salifert and other test kits.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Mix enough kalk and water to make a pancake mix consists then add a bit of black pepper and a few dashes of Tabasco sauce spread it out in a saucer then microwave it for about long enough to see it start to bubble a bit . this is what you want then let it cool a bit and then take a spoon handle or screwdriver and use it as a spatula and fill the syringe with the plunger removed then hold this just over the critter and squeeze out enough to drop into the little $%^&*&^% they will then turn black/blue and die in about 30 seconds .. When this mix hits them they will readily close on it eat it like candy :)

When I mix this I use a 1/2 cup of pickling lime and about 1/2 TSP of finely ground blk. pepper and 1/2 tsp of Texas Pete or Tabasco sauce and just enough water to make it look like the pancake mix. the cooking condenses it and makes it hold together in a drop and fall into their mouths . You might have to try the microwaving a few time to figure this very important part out but you will if it's over done you can cut it a little with R.O water to make it squeezable the end product will be close to toothpaste or some latex chalking almost. Works better then any juice ever will and its cheaper and take about 3 mins to make
    many have used this recipe and all liked it.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Amcarrig what happend to the cat avitar ? The little green bird eat it ??? LOL