AI Hydra HD 26 or 52?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by arthur, Jan 23, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi everybody. After my downgrade my 6 months old 40 gal breeder doing pretty good [​IMG] All corals are well. Last think Id like to add is light. Currently I have 2 Chineese Boxes and they are different and can't get the same color from them. One half of my tank is whiter then other. drives me crazy.. There is so many of them on market. I don't want to get crazy but I'd like to have a nice one that me and my SPS like [​IMG] I'm thinking about buying AI Hydra. It is a nice light with nice futures. Like I said I don't want to spend crazy money but 600$ is anyway. That's the cost of AI Hydra HD 52. I don't want to buy two units. Not all SPS like to be blast with light ( most do) If I have some dark spots I will make it work. What you guys think? Is this enaugh for 3' Tank? I hope it is. Other option is to buy for a 100$ more 2 AI Hydra HD 26. It is the same amout of light. Difference is that it is 2 units and that way I can spread them farther in the middle or can play with them to cover more. They say 26 will cover 2' area. I really like first option, one unit but if that for sure wont cover 3' tank then I'll go with two units I guess.. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My tank is 45 gallons and I use the Hydra 52 and really like the fixture.

4. arthur

That's a good news :) Is your tank 3' also? Im getting headache from reading all different opinions.. I think will buy 52 and live with my decision...

Corailline and kornaco40B like this.
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

26.5" x 21" x 19

You have to mount the light parallel to the front rim and high enough to provide enough spread. It's a great light IMO, I would have gone Radion but that was just too far out of my budget.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. arthur

This is my worry... My tank is 10" longer. Maybe 2- 26" will be better option.. That way I can spread 2 units little more and make sure edges when I have frag racks are lit good too... what do you think?

7. HostileEmployee

HostileEmployee Plankton

Whatever you decide let us know! I'm in the same boat as you are.

8. Click Here!

9. arthur

Sure I will... But it will take couple weeks at least.