AI Hydra 52

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jborlace, Feb 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I currently run one of the evergrow led fixtures over my 40b. One covers fine. With tax money coming Im thinking about upgrading to the AI Hydra 52. Looks like one will work with less par on the ends of course. What are you hydra 52 users thoughts on the fixture. And what's better or easier. The director or the controller ? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

why the hydra 52 and not the normal hydra?

4. jborlace

Didn't think one of the regular Hydras would be enough over a 40 breeder. Everything I've found so far says two over a 40b but with more light output the 52 only needs one. Is that not correct ?

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

I just think the 52 is going to create some really high par levels in the middle with still a lot of shadows on the sides.

What kind of coral do you have in this tank?

6. jborlace

Got a few SPS. And mostly soft corals. Frogspawn, two torches , a hammer. GSP and zoas. Figured I could just keep the settings low. I'd rather have to much light and turn it down then not have enough at all. At least that's my thinking. Lol

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have the regular Hydra on a JBJ 20 RL rimless, 20x24x9. One Hydra will not give you enough coverage on a 40 gallon without a good deal of shadows in my opinion. It's a powerful light but you'll not get the coverage with just one on a 40.

8. Click Here!

9. jborlace

One regular hydra or the hydra 52 ? The 52 has a 36 x 36 spread with lower par on the edges. I expect that since that's pretty much what my eBay led does.

10. Corailline

No regular, not a 52.

If you hang the light higher or mount the rack higher with a modification you'll probably get better coverage.

I am growing sps and they grow well, the digitatas and montipora off to the sides, but there is too much shade for me.

Perhaps a 52 is that vastly different. If you're not going to focus on a sps dominate tank then 1 might do ya, you can always add another.

11. jborlace

I only have a few SPS and they are in the center of the tank. I have it narrowed down to the hydra 52 or two kessil A160s. I love the shimmer kessil has but I like the wireless features of the hydra 52. About the same price with the lights and controllers.

12. Corailline

I am sure the Hydra 52 has a nice shimmer, the regular Hydra has a lot of shimmer.

The wireless controller is a great item. I love sitting on my couch and changing the lighting.

My only complaint is that I am running my lights at 20% and still struggling not to pale the corals out too badly.

I like the kessil very much but I liked he Hydra better, it was a toss up.